Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious computer malfunction after removing Malaware-Security Tool

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JaniceLorraine

JaniceLorraine

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

I also had a problem with malware. My computer was taken hostage by Security Tool. It is an older computer (about 2003) and I am running Windows XP. I tried a fix with Malwarebytes over the weekend and it appeared that Security Tool was gone. However I still had a problem with all my attempts at internet connection were redirected. Internet Explorer and Firefox would both be redirected. Sometimes after about ten trys I would get the desired website. I also have Safari on my computer and it would not work at all. Monday evening Security Tool popped up again. I kept closing the windows as soon as they popped up. I printed off the post and answer from your administrator for getting rid of Security Tool and I even saved the download links to a CD. I could not get rkill.exe to come up so I used Hijack This. I got a listing but I could not get Malwarebytes to download, so I used Super Anti-Spyware. I kept trying to download Malwarebytes while the Super Anti-Spyware scan was running. I think I did it because noticed that if you had several things going at once, Security Tool was not as effective at hijacking everything only some things. I got a list from Super Anti-Spyware and I wanted to see if it would let you delete the files it found without having to buy the program, so I stopped the scan and hit Finish. It did delete the files it had identified, so 'happily' I tried to connect to the internet with Internet Explorer to see if the redirecting problem was fixed. I would not connect and an error came up that files were missing. I tried accessing ITunes, it would not open, I tried Safari and it would not open. It seems like essential files were removed and then the Securitly Tool screens started showing up again. I went about trying to fix this myself, because my husband does not want to spend a lot of money on an old computer, when we could use the money to buy a new one. As of right now, my computer is "trashed". Before I throw it out the window in anger, I decided to post on your forum for help.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I know I will need to send a copy of what's happening currently on the computer. Please give me directions on what to do or run in order to collect that information for you.

Thanks again
JaniceLorraine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:41 PM

Hello,

Since the removal guide has not resolved your issues, please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<==

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then post back here and we will provide you with further instructions.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users