Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead MOBO?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fritopie

fritopie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

Hi, this is probably on here already, but I dont really have the time at the moment to look through all the post. Yesterday I was on my computer playing counter strike: source, when the screen went gray. I restarted it in safemode, and about a minute later it died. Now when I push the power button, The light on the front of the computer, and the MOBO light come on, but nothing else. The fans dont spin, and it has no other signs of life. I went and purchased a new(used) power supply, and I still have the same problem. Does this mean my motherboard is fried?

My computer is a Gateway GM5478 with a 2.4ghz core2quad / 3gigs of ram, and an nvidia 8800gt.

I really hope it's not fried, but I'd like to know if it is.
Thanks
Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:07 PM

First off, Welcome to Bleeping Computer! I hope you can find the answers you are looking for!

You might have a bad motherboard, but I would suspect the video card first. (or at least test it first, since it's easier!) It might have overheated while you were playing, and could be keeping the rest of your computer from coming on. Do you have a spare video card laying around you can test in your motherboard? That would be ideal. If not, do you have another computer you can test the 8800GT in? That might be harder to find...

#3 fritopie

fritopie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:49 PM

Yeah, my dad has a similar 8800gts in his machine. I'll put my card in here and try it.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:30 AM

If your video card is showing signs of failure you could try an old remedy that sounds strange but works, it involves reflowing the solder on the board, by removing any plastic parts from the board, pre-heating an over to 375 degrees F. Inserting the video card into the hot oven on the top rack away from the bottom, allow the heat to rise up to the card, not have it right on top of the eliment for no more than 10 minutes. Turn the oven off and open the oven door, but do not move the video card until it cools or you may cause solder bridges.

Once card is cool remove and retry in computer.

The above should only be tried if the card fails to work at all even in another computer.

Make sure the card is firmly seated in video card slot and connections are observed through out motherboard, try removing plgged in cables and reconnecting them again and restarting the computer again.

There could be a faulty connection anywhere on the motherboard that is causing this to happen.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Sobeysboy

Sobeysboy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:22 PM

"I went and purchased a new(used) power supply, and I still have the same problem."

Are you sure this power supply actually works?
Why not buy a NEW power supply?
AMD Phenom™ 9950 Quad-Core BE, Kingston HyperX 8GB RAM, WD VelociRaptor 300 Gb, HIS Radeon HD5770, SoundMAX Blackhawk HD Audio, Windows Vista HP-64 bit, ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe, Logitech G5 Laser Mouse, Corsair 750 watt PSU, Zalman GS 1000 Full Tower, CoolIt Domino CPU Cooler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users