Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speaking about PSU's Modular or Non-Modular?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mmmmm...beer

mmmmm...beer

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:50 PM

Reading some posts about a slickdeal PSU coupon for newegg I read this a couple guys had posted....

Quote from henny View Post :

These are quality power supplies and good deals.

Unfortunately none of the SKU's are modular. I've gone modular and will never buy non modular again.

OMG, you are so right. I built my first rig with a non-modular psu. Gotta say, going with a modular next time, even if it cost almost twice as much

What exactly are these guys talking about? Modular and non-modular? Is one PSU easier to install?

Edited by mmmmm...beer, 22 April 2010 - 02:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:23 PM

Modular PSUs allow you to use only the wires you need for your install. The wires (PCIE/MOLEX/SATA power etc) plug in individuually to the PSU to cut down the wiring mess. Non modular PSUs have all of the wires permanently attached to the unit so you tend to have a bit more clutter, and difficulty hiding the extra wiring if you are anal retentive.

Modular PSU: http://www.extremepc.co.nz/images/corsairhx1000w.jpg

Or semi modular if you are being precise as the ATX/4/8pin are hard wired on most with the other cables being removable. No difference to me as far as difficulty/ease of installation.

Edited by dpunisher, 22 April 2010 - 03:25 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users