Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ALCMTR.EXE

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 One Dot Com

One Dot Com

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 10:51 PM

In my almost new PC, "Sony VAIO Windows XP Media Center Edition" there is the following item in: Run>MSCONFIG>Startup Item "ALCMTR">Command ALCMTR.EXE
>Location HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft Windows\Current Ver."
I looked it up in a "Startup Application List" where it says: "Realtek AC 97 Audio-
Event Monitor. "Spyware" file used surreptitiously monitor one's action. It is not a
sinister one like remote control programs, but is being used by Realtek to gather data about customers."
The key for this is marked "X", definitely not required-typically viruses, spyware,
adware and "resource hog".
I'm not sure whether this came installed, or picked up over the internet. I'm
using Norton Internet Security, AdAware, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, Spyware
Guard, a squared and WinPatrol. Shouldn't these programs get rid of this Item???
I would greatly appreciate any you comments on this subject. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:17 PM

At the present time, each company defines what it considers to be spyware and adware. Generally, if something is part of an application, and it is mentioned in the EULA, or it does not collect specific user information, etc.,it may not be included in the any of the various anit-spyware definitions.
I would simply kill the application so it does not run at boot.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 One Dot Com

One Dot Com
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 05:26 PM

jgweed, thanks for your reply. It works OK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users