Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I block websites on my wireless router/computer?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 altair05

altair05

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

I'm not sure if this goes here, because I couldn't find a good match for this question. Sorry if that is the case.

I was wondering how to block websites on a computer. I tried the internet options menu method, but it doesn't stop me from accessing the site I want blocked.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:10 PM

Add the url to your Hosts file.

More information here: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Use the pull down at the top of the page for additional tips and guides.

Some routers have the capability too, if you want to share the make and model we can check.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 altair05

altair05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:44 AM

I rather not play with the hosts file, are there any other ways to block websites by individually adding the site on every computer I own?

#4 swagger

swagger

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:43 PM

You could consider using OpenDNS

#5 altair05

altair05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

What does it do exactly. I took a look at the free version. I'm not very technical.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:08 PM

I'm not sure if this goes here, because I couldn't find a good match for this question. Sorry if that is the case.

I was wondering how to block websites on a computer. I tried the internet options menu method, but it doesn't stop me from accessing the site I want blocked.

Please supply the routers make and model number and we'll see if your router has a feature called Block web sites or block services some routers allow setting up a time schedule for when to block on a hourly or daily schedule.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:36 AM

Add the url to your Hosts file.

More information here: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Use the pull down at the top of the page for additional tips and guides.

Some routers have the capability too, if you want to share the make and model we can check.

I agree 100% wholeheartily =)

Edited by CaveDweller2, 25 April 2010 - 01:37 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#8 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

Hi, the hosts file is a safe method to use but you can use the content adviser in IE http://www.gotknowhow.com/articles/how-to-...rnet-explorer-8 This will work on IE 7 or 8.
MCP
MSDST

#9 swagger

swagger

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:29 PM

OpenDNS is a free DNS service that you can use instead of your ISPs DNS. It also gives you the ability to add filters to the websites your computer can get to, as long as your DNS servers point to OpenDNS's servers.

I agree with using the HOSTS file for this purpose but if you absolutely don't want to use it, OpenDNS is another option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users