Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer, Old Monitor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 marrowshard

marrowshard

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:22 PM

Hello -

I'm setting up a new computer for my husband. It's a custom-built rig that should be running Windows 7, but after a successful test run at the builder's house I can't get any monitors to work with it. The monitor it *should* be using is an older CRT leftover from a now-deceased Dell system. It powers on fine, but after flashing a green light it quickly changes to the orange "stand-by" light. I can hear the tower running, normal start-up sounds, fan running, occasional beeps, etc.

I checked the connections to the motherboard, all seems fine. The plug isn't missing any pins, the cord isn't damaged, and it fits snugly into the outlet with both side screws tightly fixed.

I tried my own monitor, a new HannsG LCD, and got the same response. Everything was plugged in correctly but the monitor went right to standby mode. I haven't called the builder yet. Since it worked on a test run, i suspect it's just something simple that i'm missing.

Any suggetsions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 marrowshard

marrowshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:00 PM

Alright, let this one lie. Wasn't sure how to delete the topic, but the problem has definitely been cleared up now. As i suspected, an easy answer I just wasn't seeing: I was jacking in to a spare monitor sockets rather than the one i *should* have been using. Got my cords straightened out, now she's running great =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users