Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptops HDD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stinky_Salad

Stinky_Salad

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

Hi

i have covered it already for my external HDD, but wondering about it for my notebook now!

Does a Factory restore ensures a permanent deletion of the files on the partition?

if not, can i use diskwipe to do a 3-pass overwrite on the operating sys partition and then from bios run the factory image for a fresh install of win?

i think i have a hidden partition on it, apart from the sys-partition © , which has the factory imagei suppose!

Posted Image

the normal 34.21gb that is ''C'', system drive

and rest of the 2 are probably hidden ; FAT = 39mb and FAT32 = 3 GB

probably the 3gb ones is the hidden one cus i cant c it in my computer, and it has the factory image,

So wats the best way to do the whole thing?

1; backup imp files
2; diskwipe the C drive with 3 passes 34.21 GB one (running Diskwipe from the desktop Or if i have to run it from DOS , please let me know how to)
3; then run the factory image thru bios (command for me is Cntrl+F11)

is the above correct? plz advise

thanks

thanks

*i just got one partition

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:45 PM

The capabilities and operation techniques...for recovery/restore disks supplied by a system manufacturer...are provided by that manufacturer for that system...and does not necessarily even match that of different systems sold by same manufacturer.

You need to find such either in your owner's manual or at the website of the system manufacturer.

Recovery/restore disks do not function in the same way that a MS Genuine XP CD does...cannot be used in the same manner.

Louis

#3 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:22 PM

You probably don't need to completely wipe your hard drive. If you're going to be keeping the computer, the system recovery will do everything you need it to. If you plan on selling the computer, wiping the hard drive would be okay, but I bet about 99% of the population doesn't know how to recover any information from a re-formatted hard drive, so I personally wouldn't worry about it. But if you are really serious about removing ANY chance of getting whatever info is already on your system, that should do it. Just be careful you don't wipe the full physical hard drive!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users