Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Compaq nc6000 no video

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mattbirk

mattbirk

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

I have an HP Compaq nc6000 laptop.

I am assuming bad motherboard.

I don't get any video output on the monitor or through an external monitor via VGA, when I press Fn+F4 (switch output modes)

I just want to know, what is the best way to confirm the mobo is the problem?

Thanks,
Matt

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2010 - 01:46 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

Not much you can do with a lap top.

If you get no output on your LCD or an external one then you need to replace the lap top or send it back to HP.

#3 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:30 PM

I've replaced laptop motherboards before. It's not really fun, and I always end up with extra screws! Cryptodan is right - it's almost not worth fixing laptops with problems like this. With everything integrated it's not very cost effective. For example, check out the prices on these laptops: http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/lates...ex-landing.aspx

It would have to be a really smoking laptop for me to think it would be better to fix it than get one of those new ones. Isn't the nc6000 an old laptop?

#4 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

Yes, it is old.

I think the same way, not worth replacing the mobo. Just wanted to confirm that was most likely the issue, and just get rid of it.

LOL @ extra screws, i know how that goes.

Thanks, I just wanted to confirm that was most likely the issue

#5 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:03 PM

Even if it's not technically the motherboard, it might was well be since it is probably all integrated into the same board.

I like to get enclosures for the hard drives of dead laptops. They're pretty cheap ($15?) and turn an otherwise useless drive into a nice pocket drive. Just make sure you know which type of connection the hard drive has. (IDE vs SATA)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users