Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Open "Sounds and Audio Devices"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 joffy192

joffy192

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

When I go into the control panel and choose "Sounds and Audio Devices" so that I can change my volume, put a volume icon in the taskbar, etc., I get an error message that says, "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." What do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

Can you open up anything else in Control Panel?

#3 joffy192

joffy192
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:06 PM

Yes I can Open everything except files that have anything to do with changing the sound, like my sound icon in the taskbar, or if i try to open the main volume control.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:08 PM

This is caused by your malware infection that we have tried to get resolved, but you have not heeded our advice.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...ult_type=topics

I strongly recommend you post a Posted Image in the Am I infected? What do I do? sub-forum with a description of your problem, the steps taken so far, and a link back to this topic (they will want to know why you suspect malware).

Please note: the Malware Response team are always overwhelmed, and it could take a few days to get your first reply. Just be patient and don't "bump" your topic by replying to it, as that will only further delay a response (MRT members are looking for topics with 0 replies...if you reply to your own first, it will appear that you are already receiving help and thus delay receiving actual help).

This problem of "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." is caused by malware. We cannot help you fix this until you are declared clean by a malware removal expert. So please create a new AII topic to get this fixed once and for all, instead of creating multiple topics in the XP sub-forum all relating back to the same malware problem.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 joffy192

joffy192
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

I didn't know it was a malware problem. thot it was just something wrong with my speakers or something

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:07 PM

No need to start a new topic...OP never finished responding to efforts by Elise at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/304840/programs-wont-open/.

To OP: I suggest that you PM Elise and let her know that you have now decided to do as she suggested in the thread I linked to.

To prevent further confusion, I am closing this thread.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users