Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried everything !

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 computerintermediate

computerintermediate

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:07 AM

I feel bad for creating a new topic on a slow computer but i've tried the multiple solutions in other topics and have been deemed malware free from the malware section of the website.

The problem I face now is a lack of direction. Does any body have any advice as to where to go from here? Any programs that will moniter my computer and look for a reason why I am lagging so bad.

Basically my bootup isn't bad, but opening applications is a pain in the butt. (Itunes takes approx. 30 mins). Firefox takes around 10 mins. I cant even watch a 45 sec youtube video without waiting for the whole thing to buffer and still having a laggy video.

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:42 AM

System manufacturer and model?

How much RAM installed?

How large is C: partition? How much free space on C: right now?

Since "everything" is all-inclusive in scope...and I know that you haven't tried "everything" or you would not be posting...why don't you tell us just what you have done to explain your situation?

Then...we may have some ideas.

Louis

I would also ensure that XP is managing the pagefile.

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2010 - 04:29 PM.

#3 computerintermediate

computerintermediate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

Thank you for responding... sorry "everything" is rather broad.

I'm working with an HP dv5130us running XP media center 2005.

-C partition is 98.7 Gb total with 41.4 GB free.
-1.0 GB Ram

My computer was running fine with a rather sudden decrease in performance a few weeks ago... I've successfully rid my computer of malware although there was very little to begin with. Used the Startup light program to reduce the amount of applications that load on start which helped a little. Ran a couple of CHKDSK and defragmented. I run disk cleanup and CCleaner quite frequently including the registry cleaner in CCleaner. I recently uninstalled many unused programs. I'm currently running SFC and will post the results...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:24 PM

I suggest that you stop running any registry cleaner on your system.

Such routinely remove entries which the developer determined was unnecessary...being mindful that no program developer could have had any inkling as to what programs and data files were installed on your system. Thus, the criteria used by any registry cleaner...is totally arbitrary and I would consider it great luck if all entries deemed removeable...actually turned out to be such.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The registry is a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

1. Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry".

2. Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

3. Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

Should I Use A Registry Cleaner - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

Why I donít use registry cleaners - http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone.

I suggest that you take a look at items marked as Error under Type...in Event Viewer, in an effort to see what the system thinks merits user attention.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

If I had 1GB of RAM installed...and had what I perceived as "performance issues", I think I'd double my RAM installed, in addition to some of the other steps you have taken.

Louis

#5 computerintermediate

computerintermediate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:56 PM

i understand adding more ram but i am hesitant because i will be getting a new laptop within the year. I mean one gig after re installing windows worked fine for at least 2 years until recently its become slow. I would just reinstall windows but all my music is on my laptop and i really dont want to go buy an external hdd just to hold music for a couple of hours.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

Burn music to CD-Rs, do the clean install...keep the junk off.

If you still experience slowness...then you have too many programs installed for the system resources available.

The more programs installed on a system, the harder a system must work. All new computers are fast...until users begin installing applications like Adobe this 'n that, Real, iTunes, MS Office, etc.

I would also suggest removing any toolbars and add-ons...that really don't do anything for system utility.

Louis

#7 reyak

reyak

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:19 AM

Take a look at your task bar. If you have any programs there that increase memory, or clean your cache, or "speed up your pc".... You likely have a program that is eating all your resources. Many malware programs act like good programs and do the same, but many perfectly legit programs do the same thing. Anything that runs in the background watching for such things as memory leaks needs cpu time to do so. This does not mean get rid of anything you see, but you should list them here if you are unsure.

#8 computerintermediate

computerintermediate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:28 AM

Okay, new problem... I recovered my computer using the Hp software that came with it and it assured me that my data and file would not be destroyed... and it was right.. I think. The computer is faster :thumbsup: but when i go to Documents and Settings under the C drive and try to click on the previous version of my documents before it recovered it says that accessible and access is denied. How can I get into these files?

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:30 AM

I would just reinstall windows but all my music is on my laptop and i really dont want to go buy an external hdd just to hold music for a couple of hours.

I have to add my 2 cents regarding your comment.

An external drive would be a good investment for 1 reason: back up.

If your hard drive fails and you have to replace it, if you want to reinstall the OS, copy anything you don't want to lose to the external drive. Later you can copy everything back to the drive when the issues are resolved.

In your case, when you get a new laptop, hook up the external drive, and put everything on the new system.

As for getting your files, see this

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

#10 computerintermediate

computerintermediate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

Thank you very much... and i see your point concerning the hdd. I probably will end up buying one when I finally find a job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users