Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Internet Explorer Hater (aieh8r.bat)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rchatty

rchatty

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:47 AM

I have an XP computer at home that does not have an internet connection. Well, recently, it has been acting up like it has a virus. I didn't know how on earth I could get a virus with no internet. Well, turns out that..........(I'll try to make the long story short. Remember, I'm not sure this is exactly what happened, but the best we can come up with):

My sister had it on her mini sd card. It is just a simple little hidden file called aieh8r.bat. She plugged her card into my computer via usb port. It copied over to my computer and I think it's in the application data file. Well, conveniently enough, it changed my computer settings so that I cannot view hidden and system files. I try to change the settings and they just bloop back, so I'm not 100% certain where it's hiding on my computer. All I know is everytime I open drive C: it pops up "aieh8r.bat has encountered and error and must close." So......Then I plug my thumbdrive into my computer, load some things on it, take it to a 2nd computer that has an sd slot, plug it into that computer and load it onto my sd card. So, now we have my thumbdrives (all 3 of them) my sd card, her sd card, her thumbdrive, and my computer all infected. Fortunately, the 2nd computer was vista and this virus does not know how to infect vista. So.......
I took my thumbdrives back to the 2nd computer, opened them up, and told it to show hidden and system files. It worked! There I could plainly see "aieh8r.bat" on all 3 of my thumbdrives. Well, they are gone off those now, but.....My computer is still infected. I can't view hidden files so I can't find it! I'm still battling that one with every anti virus I can find. In the meantime, I can't plug anything into my computer.......

So.....anymore ideas on getting this bugger of my computer? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:23 AM

Here's a link to Prevx which is has a scanner that claims to be able to remove that piece of malware. I haven't used it so I can't vouch for it. Also, it's not free.

Prevx

Edited by strolln, 22 April 2010 - 10:35 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:47 AM

Please...do not suggest paid products as a solution to a situation that any user has...unless it's clear that there are no ways of handling the situation, other than spending money :thumbsup:.

I am moving this thread to Am I Infected as a more appropriate forum for malware situations.

Louis

#4 rchatty

rchatty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:55 PM

Thanks. I actually downloaded and tried the Prevx. It scans for free, but to delete the virus you must pay. I did the scan and it didn't find it.

#5 crackerlady2007

crackerlady2007

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

I'm the nasty sister who infected her computer. :thumbsup: I had this virus on my XP computer before and couldn't get rid of it until I upgraded to Windows 7. Now it doesn't bother my computer, just my external memory.

#6 rchatty

rchatty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:18 AM

Ok....So now I found the nasty virus! It is on the C: drive. "C:\aieh8r.bat" I had to search hidden and system files to find it.

I deleted it. Yea!!! Killed it!!!.......Not so, 3 seconds later....BLOOP....it's back!! I deleted 75 of those things! They just came back.

Next....I found 2 more files associated with this one. autorun.inf which contains a line of script saying "open=aieh8r.bat". And another file called olhwref.exe which contains all the same script as the aieh8r.bat file. So, I deleted all 3 of them at the same time........

Yay!!! Only autorun.inf comes back.

So, I restarted my computer......
It got to the big blue HP screen, then goes black, then blue HP, then black, then blue HP, then black....etc. It was still doing that when I left for work.

Help!!! Please!

#7 rchatty

rchatty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:27 PM

Well, I figured it out. I accidentally deleted my ntdetect.com file while battling the virus. So I fixed it with this guys neat fix.

http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

It worked! Plus, the virus is gone too!!! I deleted all the right files (olhwref.exe, aieh8r.bat, and autorun.inf) Now, for all others who get this virus, it works as long as you don't delete the wrong file too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users