Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG scan question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 10:02 PM

hi - the last couple of times i ran my AVG scan an item showed up that i need to ask about. during the scan it showed up as this --- an orange folder - RESULT - cannot open; not checked! PATH - B:\

under details, OBJECT - partition table ( mbr ) RESULT - change.

should i be concerned about this ? thanks, Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 10:22 PM

Hi Keith1.

The drive letter B: is reserved for a floppy drive and if you only have one of those you don't have a B: drive. There is no MBR on a B: drive either. You will only find that on a bootable drive like your C:. However the results are suspicious enough to get a second opinion. Try a couple of these online scans:

Housecall Use Autoclean.
Panda ActiveScan
Bitdefender Check off Autoclean.
eTrust Check off Cure when the scan is done.
RAV Check off Autoclean.

and let us know what you find.

Edited by Leurgy, 24 September 2005 - 10:26 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 10:35 PM

thanks, i'll do that first thing in the morning, and post back results, Keith

#4 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 01:42 PM

well, i ran 4 of the 5 scans and here are the results.

Panda - clean
Rav - found 2 suspicious but it didn't say what they were
Bit Defender - found one virus but removed it ( application.adaware.funweb A )
Housecall - ran into a problem here. shortly after starting the scan i got this error message - housecall detects a corrupted/engine file ( VPTNFILE.* ) please remove the corresponding file(s) and restart house call again. i wouldn't have a clue as how to do this - or if i need to.

so, i am going to run AVG again later to see if that weird file is still there.

looking forward to your reply - Keith

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 02:18 PM

Well, you got some adware removed. As far as that Housecall error goes, the scanning engine might be in your temporary internet files so if you clean those that might do it, unless its the activex control which you can remove by opening IE and going to Tools>Internet Options>General tab>Settings>View Objects. You will see an entry there with Housecall on it. Right click and delete.

If AVG doesn't find that item again one of the scans may have removed it.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 03:54 PM

i took care of the housecall thing then ran an AVG scan - the file in question is still there. should i just ignore it or is there something else i should do? thanks - Keith

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 04:59 PM

i took care of the housecall thing then ran an AVG scan - the file in question is still there. should i just ignore it or is there something else i should do? thanks - Keith

I have had AdAware flush out virus for AVG. While AVG is monitoring the system run Adaware and as it scans the virus will be detected by AVG and you will be prompted to remove/heal/quarntine the infected file. Does not happen everytime but it's not rare either. Sometimes AVG will identify the infected file but cannot do anything with it. I guess it's like dogs drive quail ahead of the hunt.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 11:50 PM

It may be the file is "protected" by the MS operating system; try running your AV in safe mode.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:58 AM

ok, i'll give that a try and see what the results are - yhanks - Keith

#10 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:04 AM

i tried running AVG in safe mode but it still shows the same file - should i just ignore it? Keith

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:11 AM

You could post a HiJack This log if you want. Something might show up there. It is a very strange item. I'll put my blurb below: :thumbsup:

See How to submit a Hijackthis Log for instructions.

Our HiJack Team are all volunteers and are very busy right now. You should receive a reply in 2-3 days. Please wait until a team member posts to your thread. Since our submitted logs are lined up by date and time, if you were to post into that topic before a team member replies, that reply would be the new date and time thus moving you backwards in the line. Once you do receive a reply things will move along quickly. If you do not receive a reply in five days post a notice here.

#12 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:26 AM

ok i will do that. i really appreciate all your help and i will let you know the results - Keith

#13 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:51 AM

I just got some great info from the shop that built my computer! The tech i talked to also uses AVG and is very familiar with it. He told me ( i hope i wrote the info down correctly ) that the questionable file is a small quarantine partition that was created by AVG. It houses viruses that AVG cannot do anything else with. He gets it on his computer all the time, and it is nothing to be concerned about. i hope this info was helpful - Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users