Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious computer malfunction after removing Malaware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JemNetley

JemNetley

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:22 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...irus-vista-2010

A recent malware problem led me to use the solution described above on my daughters computer. As detailed I requested a full scan and as its XP I thought it would solve the problem across all User folders and docs and the whole OS. Not so, for my account the problem has been removed but it has left me unable to access any Windows related programs although the icons still remain but the malware problem is till present on my daughters user account and I am very, very reluctant to run it agin as per the above in case it leads her stranded. None of the problems I am experiencing below affect her user account

On my account it appears that all application and program associations have been lost although things like individual Word docs are still shown in explorer

1) eg when opening word, excel, etc etc it says access is denied - the icons are still all there
2)I have tried to reinstall Office but I get an error message saying 1402 set up cannot open registry key etc etc

2) have tried to find the HKey by 'regedit' via 'run' but it just asks me to 'choose the program i want to open it in' so I cant use regedit

3) No applications in the control panel will open - it says cant find it C\system 32 rundll.exe not found

4) it cannot connect to the internet - clicking on the netgear program it asks me etc etc

I am not sure what else might be affected but the very fact that the slution has only partially worked has left me baffled and I am not totally IT ignorant

Any solutions please

I do have a number of Dell system software discs so I could reload the OS but none of them specifcially say XP.
I also have a Vista disc from another computer

EDIT: Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected, more appropriate ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2010 - 09:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:28 PM

Hello,

Since the removal guide did not fully resolve your issues, please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<==

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then post back here and we will provide you with further instructions.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 JemNetley

JemNetley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:44 AM

OB

Thanks for your post

As I had very little info in my user account I deleted it. From other posts on other sites it would appear that you do need to use the BC solution I posted above, user account by user account. I ran the fix.exe and Malawarebytes on the other user accounts whihc solved much of the problem. I then ran Superantispyware and finally cleansed the system

I have added Free Zone Alarm Firewall too so the the user has more active notification

Edited by JemNetley, 25 April 2010 - 05:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users