Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Brief Window Return

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Herbert Rogers

Herbert Rogers

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:17 AM

Whoa!...what was that....? I use an older XPProfessional 2002 SP3, Pentium 4-512 MB. AVG 9.0 This morning, for the first time, after looking at some on-line news articles (local newspaper)...I used the SAME WINDOW to type-in a new URL.
While viewing this new Website...all of a sudden...my screen flashed-back to the former Website! It happened so fast...I didn't have time
to look-up at my URL to see if there was a change. In a flash...it happened again.... so far, that's all.
I've never had this happen. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:15 AM

Have you run any full virus scans (updated AV program) since this happened? I would also run SUPERAntiSpyware or something similar.

You might also check Event Viewer for possible errors noted at approximate same time.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Lastly...you might run the chkdsk /r command. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot the system, the command will execute. Upon completion, the system will boot into XP.

Louis

#3 Herbert Rogers

Herbert Rogers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:32 AM

Thanks. Will proceed. Incidentally...any advice on a good malware to purchase? I'm just using my AVG I purchased a year ago (with Updates, ofrcourse). Thanks, again.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

Any reliable, current AV will do...I use Avira Free, but any reliable, updated AV program does the job.

SUPERAntiSpyware is free. Not an AV program, but a good companion to an installed, updated AV program.

Malwarebytes is free...again, not an AV program but very useful to users trying to protect their systems.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users