Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows recovery console - help from virus damage?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gaspergoo

gaspergoo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:17 AM

hello, I have a virus that hit on Monday and has been identified by symantec, malwarebytes etc.. which I tried to delete. at this point the computer will stay in a continuous loop of turning on (to the black XP screen only,not the blue one) and then turning off so never achieving safe or any mode. I can only get to the windows advanced option screen and of course the recovery console screen. last step was in safe mode that I had malwarebytes remove the trojan.win32/vundo upon reboot however it will not boot back to safe mode. the original symptom was a slow computer so I shut IE down to run cleaners (CCleaner and Iobit). when turning IExplore and Outlook back on, the screen filled with Symantic scanning notices of over 40 emails going out (not to my address book) so I shut the whole system down and booted to safe mode. The virus eventually shut my Windows firewall down and rendered the SUPERAntispyware and Symantic scans unuseable. Is there any way to a)try and get safe mode back through the recovery console, or b)get a prompt to open software I have loaded onto a disc? or any other hope? This unit has XP Pro and was built by an expert who is no longer available so I do not have a copy of XP, the recovery disc or MS Office. If a hard re-format the unit then will be trash compared to just buying a new one retail..........
I sit working off this old Dell Dimension 450 with 350 ram and a 9gig hard drive trying to troubleshoot!

EDIT: Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected, more appropriate ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2010 - 09:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users