Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Network inconsistent, dead

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 djnbleepkylie

djnbleepkylie

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:53 AM

Problem:
A perfectly good XP home network stopped working.

Symptoms:
Can't see Shared docs on nameA "it may have been deleted" (!)
Can't see laptops that join on wireless
Trying to look at Mshome says its "not accessible" and I "may not have permission".

History:
PC nameA is linked to Linksys router.
3 laptops link either wired or wireless thru that.
1 linux PC linked wired.

From day1 all the laptops simply came online and were visible, and have been for years.
Shareddocs on nameA has always been a general store and swap area.

Suddenly no-one could see Shareddocs on nameA.
Big mistake - someone ran the "network setup wizard" on nameA. This basically did nothing useful until it got to the end, when it said that it had to be run on all other machines on the network, and that we should insert a floppy (!!!) to create a disk.

Since the so-called wizard ran, the network is useless, shareddocs comes and goes, and attempting to examine MShome gets "you may not have permission".

Is there a way to resurrect this lot, preferably even the hard way without using the MS network wontwork?

Any help appreciated.

XP 3; laptops on XP 3 (and ubuntu); Linksys; admin user

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 golden-graham

golden-graham

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:13 AM

don't follow my advice because i'm not the most techy bloke on the planet but what have you tried? system restore or anything like that? if it's one thing i've learnt some of the peeps on here require as much info on the problem at hand as possible,what happened,what you've already done,even small things that might have slipped your mind can make a difference to the people on here that can help...hope it gets sorted soon :thumbsup:

G

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:19 AM

I would simply try to set the home network up anew...adding one system at a time..using the XP Network Wizard.

If the first system is able to connect successfully to the Internet...we know that it's not a hardware problem.

If two systems are then able to connect to the Internet and participate in a home network...we know that it's not an O/S problem or hardware problem on those two systems.

And so on...

Louis

#4 djnbleepkylie

djnbleepkylie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:56 AM

Yes, thanks both.

However, ALL systems can see the internet.
SOME systems can SOMETIMES see one or more other systems.
It was Notwork Wizard that caused this in the first place, and since it starts looking for a floppy drive its not the most reassuring piece of software.

Thanks so far...

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:44 AM

The Network Wizard does not look for a floppy drive.

When setting up a home network...one of the last options entails selection of an option. One of the options is to copy the Network Wizard files onto a floppy drive, for use in setting up the home network on a system which does not have the XP Network Wizard. If all systems have XP installed, this option is not selected and the user should elect the option indicating that all is done.

Louis

#6 djnbleepkylie

djnbleepkylie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:16 AM

Louis,
Thanks.

The wizard was run to the point where it offered the option of writing to a disk (in this case a floppy), and that option declined, as in "done".
That is the point at which everything went away.
Now, I can go and run NW on the XP laptops, but that begs the questions of
.. what actually happened (ie what did it turn off)?
.. why was it never necessary before? (So it has done something)
.. one vital laptop can still usually see nameA (but it can't see them). Running NW on that seems a suicidal trick before understanding why it killed communication.
.. what do I do with the Linux machine(s) noted above, since they certainly don't have floppies?
[incidentally, to save anyone effort - the linux have samba. They sometimes see shareddocs, but not just now. 'Sometimes' is well frustrating]

I suppose I'm looking for a sequence of things like changing a protection or registry value which will make it look as though NW never got in the way.
If I could find any documentation, I'd do it the hard way.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

A windows update or other security software update blocked NETBIOS Traffic?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

I use NetBIOS and I'm current on updates...no such problem on my home network.

But...those protocols can get damaged, like any other files on a system.

Louis

#9 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...iagnostics.mspx

Run this and then view or even post the diagnostic log.

Which linksys router are you running?

I am pretty sure I have never run the networkwizard on any machine since I just match the workgroup name and disable default stupid share stuff.

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 22 April 2010 - 12:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users