Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Freezes - locksup

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 gawally

gawally

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:19 AM

I write this in the hope that it may help others with problem of Windows 7 intermittently freezing.
Hopefully I have fixed my own but that is not certain as yet as it is unpredictable.
I have a compaq CQ61 notebook running Windows 7 and I use Wireless broadband to connect to the internet.
Everything would just freeze at various intervals ranging from just after reboot to a few hours. Cursor would not move and keyboard did nothing and it had to be powered on and off to reboot.
The event log showed Kernel-Power Event ID 40 Task 63
After many frustrating hours of searchng the net and trying things I have hopefully ?? solved the problem
One post on here and other sites metioned ATI sound cards but that didn't help. On another site there was mention of removing Wireless Lan card I had already turned that off.
The conclusions I reached are (I don't necessarily say they are all correct)
The Kernel-Power Event ID 40 is a consequence of the powering down and is not the real problem. I could find nothing about it on Microsoft.
It pays to check other events that occured immediatelly prior to or at the same time as the Kernel-power event.
It also pays to check that there may be no clashes in anything -

I found that some of the events at the same time were always SQL events.
I don't know the reason SQL should have been called at all but it was there.
When I purchased the computer it appears that it had SQL 2005 loaded on it.
I had downloaded Microsoft Visual express 2008 to do some programming in visual basic.
It seems that Microsoft SQL 2008 also got loaded at the same time.
I went to Uninstall on the Control Panel and found that Microsoft SQL Server 2005 was there as well as SQL Server 2008.
I uninstalled Microsoft SQL server 2005.

I did uninstall my wireless broadband and reinstalled it as well because I had a perception that it may have been givng me a problem. I don't now think that was the case

At this stage I think it was SQL that was my problem, it has been going for a few hours now and hopefully it is fixed. Fingers crossed :huh:
There were a lot more bits but much less storage in old mainframes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:51 PM

You sure that isn't Event ID 41?

Louis

#3 gawally

gawally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:36 PM

Yes Hamluis was ID 41 my error'
Also I was a bit hasty thinking the problem was fixed. It didn't have the problem ofr many hours but then it occured again. At this stage I think I have solved it but no so hasty to declare it yet. Will give it another day or so and post again.

#4 gawally

gawally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:10 AM

95% sure the problem is caused by Search Indexing but giving it a bit longer before I fully commit to that.

#5 gawally

gawally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:25 AM

The problem was not caused by indexing, it just didn’t happen for a while. It
has been ok now for a few days but I am not able to give a definite reason as to why.

It was fixed after Microsoft Windows updates KB975496 and KB980408 were downloaded but I had also done other things to try and fix it.

Other things I had done.

Changed all npdeploytk.dll to Xnpdeploytk.dll so Java deployment toolkit no longer goes into Firefox as an Addin (Still had freezes after that)

Uninstalled Ashampoo DVD burner
Uninstalled Nokia OVI suite
Uninstalled VLC Media Player
Uninstalled Muvee Reveal
Deleted Ahead and Nero directories from c:/programfiles/commonfiles. these files were left after a failed installation of an incompatible version.
I do not think uninstalling these programs had any effect.

I ran services.msc and changed the following.
WWAN Autoconfig Manual to Automatic
Windows Time Manual to Automatic
Windows error reporting Manual to Automatic
SQL Server Browser Disabled to Automatic
Adaptive brightness Manual to Disabled
Com4QLBEx (HP quick launch buttons) Manual to Disabled
Hpqwmiex – HP stuff Manual to Disabled
I found that wiki.blackviper.com gives a fair bit of information about services.
(I still had freezes after these changes)

I had on occasions been getting Packed.it virus in shared folders and had been puzzled about it for a while.
Upon receiving one of them I checked through all events.
I found in Windows Security that a logon from network had happened at the same time and a user name had been created
Account Unknown(S-1-5-21-1062240373-2300274076-1055424102-1001)
This account had been given full control.
I initially deleted this account but when it happened again I made all its permissions Deny.
I also made permissions for “Everyone” to be only “List folder contents” and “Read”. They had previously been Full control.
Checking more through the security events I found many occasions which had logins with NULL SID login type 3 that had a workstation name and an IP address – seemigly hackers at work.
I have not yet been able to correlate the times of these with freezes so I am not sure if they were causing freezes or not but the problem needed attention.
Any suggestions of better security while still being able to use as shared files would be appreciated. I couldn’t really see a way, that I could understand, in windows firewall to do it.

The system now seems to be working very well – a pleasure to use without the freezes. :huh:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:12 PM

Glad you solved it, thanks for providing the steps you took to resolution...happy computing :huh:.

Louis

#7 gawally

gawally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:52 PM

I was glad at the time that I had solved it too and after having at least 2 and up to 12 lockups a day i thought that after it was ok for more than 3 days that it was solved however that was not the case Grrrrrr. :huh:
Things got worse again so it was time to get serious.
Found that Java had done an update and the Java deployment toolkit was back as an addin on Firefox so I again disabled Java deployment toolkit by deleting npdeploytk.dll
I do have all automatic updates on for Windows 7, HP, Java, AVG. etc
I tried Microsoft and CNET for checking that drivers were all up to date and there was no indication that they were not up to date.
Then off to HP support - and checked the the actual driver versions I should have had were what I did have. Dowloaded and installed those that were different to the versions I had. Most of them installed properly as they described excepting that for Intel ICH9 I had to do each driver individually after the download. Synaptic (touchpad) drivers on their site said it was the original version.
After doing all that it all looked good for a few hours and then I got one freeze. After some more hunting around I came upon Microsoft Process Monitor. Dowloaded and ran it to see if it would show me anything. Found that I got a lot of errors on Synaptics. I uninstalled "Synaptics Pointing Device Driver" then went to HP site again and downloaded the drivers for Synaptics (Even tho they said it was original - the versions were different). At this stage it is looking good again but i won't bet on it being fully fixed yet although it has seemed very stable for the last 2 days. There are a lot more things that Microsoft Process Monitor shows that I would like to investigate further but at this stage too much time has been taken with this problem.

Just clarifying a couple of points -
I had run memory test for several hours and it showed no problems
My computer is a Compaq Presario CQ61-314TU Product number VV349PA. 2GB of RAM.
Operating system is Windows 7 Home premium.
Computer didn't actually freeze while i was running Process Monitor - I just noticed errors for Synaptics that didn't look good. Not that any errors look good :huh:
I normally use a USB mouse and on some occassions when the computer froze rubbing finger across touch pad moved the cursor a small amount and then it totally froze.
As at 15th May - No freeze for 3 days now so hopefully fixed this time.

Edited by gawally, 15 May 2010 - 05:42 AM.

#8 gawally

gawally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:34 AM

Wasn't fixed more Grrrrr seemed ok for more than 3 days. Did more looking with Process monitor and currently have disabled Link Scanner in AVG will see if it lasts more than 4 days now. If ok now will put more details here.

#9 douglas350

douglas350

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:21 PM

Please keep up the good work. I have a similar problem with windows 7 on a dell inspiron studio laptop. It seems to have started after loading dragon version 10.

I'm reading your thread with great interest. It has been suggested to me that it is caused by the powersaving/sleep/hibernate command but witching it off does not seem to have helped much.

#10 gawally

gawally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:39 AM

Don't know how much help it would be for dragon 10, I wasn't sure if I was much help to anybody after my first 2 thoughts that it was fixed. But after a couple of days I am quietly confident that disabling AVG Link Scanner may have solved it.
It has been the most frustrating computer problem I have had in about 30 years (Since Univac days). Of course Virus protection was one of the first things I put on the computer and one of the last I suspected might be as much trouble as a virus. The biggest problem is that because it totally freezes there is nothing to show why it totally froze and nothing can be retrieved that shows why. I was running Program Monitor at a time when it nearly froze and picked up that it was doing things with AVGCHSVX.EXE at the time.
It was very difficult to try and use computer while having the results of Program Monitor and also Task Manager visible on the screen.
What I thought was a problem with Synaptics, I no longer think was a problem and I don't think there is any problem with Indexing. For some reason opening Internet Explorer seems to do something with the Synaptics Touchpad/pointer, I don't know why as I use a USB mouse. The Firefox Java deployment toolkit problem is shown at http://www.java.com/en/download/help/firefox_addons.xml as well as many other places. If it was disabled it just restarted the next time Firefox was opened and the only way to get rid of it was to change the name of npdeploytk.dll or delete it.
I likewise disabled all the Power Saving stuff early in the piece.
The only thing I could suggest for finding problem with Dragaon 10 is maybe use Program Monitor and it might find something, or ask the experts (I am not one of them) I just struggle along trying to find things that might help solve my problem. I hope that when I have finally found it that the results may be useful to someone who has the same problems. There are lots of things shown by Program Manager that I don't fully understand why.
At this stage (No guarantee yet) I think my problems have been caused by the Java deployment toolkit addin for Firefox and AVG Anti-Virus - Need a few more days yet to confirm the AVG one.

#11 douglas350

douglas350

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

Well I am runing AVG as well.

I do have another 'symptom' that has appeared since this problem. The freezing problem started about ten days ago this 'symptom' about 3 days ago. Task manager opens at what looks like the services screen. The tabs on the top (performance, processes, services etc) are not shown so can't be used.

I have scanned withAVG and with Malbytes and adware. Lots of malware no viruses.

Before removing AVG and dragon I will put up with this freezing for a few days and see what you come up with.

Thanks again.

#12 gawally

gawally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:24 AM

I have not uninstalled AVG, I just disabled the Link scanner part of it. My Anti virus, Anti Spyware and Resident shield are still active. Protection is still reasonable I would think. My problem hasn't appeared again yet so I am still quietly confident. :huh:

I had already checked for MalWare and Viruses several times. I always delete Cookies and Temporary Internet Files before scanning for Malware and I have browsers set to not accept 3rd party cookies.

If tabs not showing on Task Manager try a double click in white area above the headings.

Edited by gawally, 21 May 2010 - 03:52 AM.

#13 douglas350

douglas350

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

The double click at the top of taskmaster worked!! I felt I should have known it but I didn't. Thanks.

I have disabled the link scan on AVG and so far no feeze ups. Mind you so far is only 30 minutes :-)

I still can't get used to how you about 12000 miles away just type a few lines of advice just to help someone you'll never meet. The internet makes the world a smaller place and a nicer place.

Thanks again

#14 gawally

gawally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:09 PM

I didn't know how far apart we were :huh: but good to be able to help if I can. I had same problem with desktop I used to have with no tabs at top of Task Manager. I never found out why then so when I saw you had same problem Douglas I thought would do some research and found out why.

On the AVG Link Scanner I enabled the Active Surf-shield and got a lock up so I disabled it and enabled the Search-Shield. So far after about 4 hours haven't had a freeze. I have posted an entry on AVG Free Forums http://forums.avg.com/au-en/avg-free-forum...ow&id=88783 will see if they come up with anything.
Hope we have found the answer for both our sakes I have found it very frustrating and time consuming. Was also a challenge and learning experience to find it (if I have), but I do have plenty of other things to do too. If in the long run it saves some others a lot of time it will have been worthwhile.

Edited by gawally, 21 May 2010 - 01:14 PM.

#15 douglas350

douglas350

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:49 PM

I followed up your link to the forum and apparantly our problem is not unique. On another thread in the forum they have four pages on this problem.

http://forums.avg.com/au-en/avg-free-forum...ge=4&type=0

Oh 5 hours now no freezes :-)
and the computer seems to be running faster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users