Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Security Set Up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RustyHavoc

RustyHavoc

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:56 AM

I was originally just using Norton Internet Security 2010, but having read around the forum it seems I was under protected. I just downloaded Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware, and SpywareBlaster. Are these four programs overkill or are there any potential conflicts between any of them. I'm running on a 64-bit version of Windows 7 if that matters.

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Rusty
HP Pavilion dv4, AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-75 2.20 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 218 GB HDD, ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Internet Explorer 9, gmail, avast! 6, Malwarebytes, SpywareBlaster

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:32 AM

Norton IS 2010 is robust enough. But keeping on-demand Malwarebytes' Antimalware (MBAM) is good too. Do not run MBAM all the same time, just use MBAM to scan now and then. SuperAntispyware is good on-demand scanner too. Other than these three, you should not need anymore protection.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:08 AM

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using all their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 RustyHavoc

RustyHavoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:56 PM

Thanks! I'll probably remove Ad-Aware because it automatically turns the live protection back on every time I boot my computer.
HP Pavilion dv4, AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-75 2.20 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 218 GB HDD, ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Internet Explorer 9, gmail, avast! 6, Malwarebytes, SpywareBlaster

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:58 AM

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products)

Further, most people don't understand Spybot's TeaTimer or how to use it and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

More effective alternatives are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

#6 RustyHavoc

RustyHavoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

Oh I see. Does Spybot S&D = SpywareBlaster? I am using SpywareBlaster.
Would SUPERAntiSpyware conflict with Norton since they both are real time protection?

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:55 AM

SpywareBlaster is different from Spybot. It doesn't even do the same thing. SuperAntiSpyware wouldn't conflict with Norton anyway but only the paid version of SAS comes with real time protection.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:45 PM

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using all their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.

SpywareBlaster is a program that blocks spyware tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and any browsers that use the Internet Explorer engine, including: AOL web browser, Avant Browser, Slim Browser and Maxthon (formerly MyIE2). It also provides protection for Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, Seamonkey, and Flock. SpywareBlaster restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone" and prevents the installation of ActiveX-based malware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software.

How does SpywareBlaster work? It adds sites to the restricted zones by adding the domain as a subkey under the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains. A dword is then added to that domain named * and given a hex value of 4 to specify that it is part of the Restricted Sites Zone. More specifically, Spywareblaster sets the "killbit" on the CLSID (Class ID) of known spyware. Every program has a CLSID that is unique to the type of program. Once Spywareblaster enables (writes) those killbits they are "locked in" and any identified spyware cannot be opened. Spywareblaster writes these killbits in and then stays off until you need to re-write them again with an update. Why is all this important? Some types of malware are known to alter Trusted Zones, Ranges and ProtocolDefaults set for a browser.

SpywareBlaster also provides the ability to keep encrypted backup copies of the Hosts file so if its altered, you can easily restore a good backup copy. Unlike many other security tools, SpywareBlaster does not run in the background. Instead it only requires installation and then enabling of all protection. After that you only have to check periodically for database updates using the built-in "Check for Updates" feature and then enable all protection again.

If you are not sure how to use SpywareBlaster, please refer to the How to use SpywareBlaster to protect your computer tutorial.

#9 RustyHavoc

RustyHavoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

Oh! Ok. So then I will use Norton Security 2010, MalwareBytes (Free), SUPERAntiSpyware (Free) and SpywareBlaster (Free.)
Thanks for the thoroughness in replies! It helped me a lot to make a decision. :thumbsup:

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:51 AM

You're welcome.

#11 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

Edit: Whoops wrong forum. Sorry.

Edited by DeathStalker, 25 April 2010 - 11:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users