Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp laptop wont connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 vertigomhs

vertigomhs

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:06 PM

i had the always fun duty of fixing a laptop for a friend and well i removed all the viruses and malware that were present on the laptop (many i might add), i used microsoft security essentials and malwarebytes

i scanned each with a full scan twice each on different occasions and i was successful in removing all the bad stuff.

now that everything has been removed the laptop runs smoothly and quite responsive, but it can't connect to the internet at all, ive tried through ethernet as well as wireless lan, the software that manages both the ethernet and wireless hardware says that it is conencted to the router but its unable to connect to the internet, keep in mind i have many other devices on this network that are working just fine.

ive tried resetting all internet settings in internet explorer, windows firewall, internet options, everything that i can think of and still its unable to connect to the internet. (no programs, alternate browsers or anything for that matter can connect)

usually im good when its comes to things like this but i think ive met my match :|

help is very much appreciated, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Marlo1204

Marlo1204

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:09 AM

Hello vert, the first thing you can try doing (if your running xp) start>control panel>network and internet connections>network connections. right click your existing internet connection>properties>general tab>and properties of internet protocol [TCP/IP] go to the general tab and make sure you obtain ip automatically as with dns server too.

Also, is your internet connection password protected. Disable or forget your network and type in password again. If else fails you probably have corrupted drivers, in which you must reinstall.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:41 AM

1. Click Start>Run (Start>"Start search" in Vista).

2. Type in (or copy and paste):

cmd /c ping google.com>%temp%\$.$&notepad %temp%\$.$

and press Enter.

3. Notepad will open.

4. Copy all text in Notepad ([Ctrl-A], then [Ctrl-C]), and then post it (paste = [Ctrl-V]) in your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 vertigomhs

vertigomhs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:48 AM

Hello vert, the first thing you can try doing (if your running xp) start>control panel>network and internet connections>network connections. right click your existing internet connection>properties>general tab>and properties of internet protocol [TCP/IP] go to the general tab and make sure you obtain ip automatically as with dns server too.

Also, is your internet connection password protected. Disable or forget your network and type in password again. If else fails you probably have corrupted drivers, in which you must reinstall.

okay, i did this and still the internet connection is a no-go. i also tried the open connection at my school which came to the same result.

keep in mind i tried both ethernet and wireless at these two locations.

1. Click Start>Run (Start>"Start search" in Vista).

2. Type in (or copy and paste):

cmd /c ping google.com>%temp%\$.$&notepad %temp%\$.$

and press Enter.

3. Notepad will open.

4. Copy all text in Notepad ([Ctrl-A], then [Ctrl-C]), and then post it (paste = [Ctrl-V]) in your next reply.

well im in windows xp...

i tried this and notepad did open but it was blank with an error code something about the path specified not being found.

i also tried just a normal ping in command prompt on google and it just hangs there with no result.

im going to try a repair install of xp if i can, if this doesnt work any other possible solutions? thanks

#5 Retirednow

Retirednow

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:26 AM

Open a cmd prompt and type in the following without the quotes and paste the results back here, "ipconfig /all".

#6 vertigomhs

vertigomhs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:19 AM

Open a cmd prompt and type in the following without the quotes and paste the results back here, "ipconfig /all".

ok, well i ran a repair install of windows and the problem is still present.

here is the result of the ipconfig /all command:

Windows IP Configuration
- Host Name...JRCOMP
- Primary Dns Suffix... (blank, no text a all)
- Node Type... Broadcast
- IP routing enabled... No
- WINS Proxy Enabled... No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
-Connection-specific DNS Suffix... (Again blank)
- Description... Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
- Physical Adress... 00-14-22-AB-56-8F
- Dhcp Enabled... Yes
- Autoconfiguration Enabled... Yes
- IP Adress... 192.168.1.122
- Subnet Mask... 255.255.255.0
- Default gateway... 192.168.1.1
- DHCP Server... 192.168.1.1
- DNS Servers... 192.168.1.1
- Lease obtained... Tues May 11
- Lease Expires... Wed May 12

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
-Media State... Media Disconnected
- Description.. Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card
- Physical Address... 00-16-CE-70-93-F0

isnt it kind of weird that my default gateway is set the same as my dhcp and dns servers?

this result was done on an ethernet connection to my linksys router, same result comes up if i do it through wireless.

also im wondering if software is the issue here, this laptop has a dell wireless and broadcam app doing the internet configurations and its not letting windows do the job.

Edited by vertigomhs, 11 May 2010 - 04:20 AM.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:52 AM

isnt it kind of weird that my default gateway is set the same as my dhcp and dns servers?

It's normal.

i tried this and notepad did open but it was blank with an error code something about the path specified not being found.

Can you post exact message?
Can you check, if you have ping.exe file in C:\Windows\System32 folder?
Did you try to connect laptop straight to the modem, bypassing router?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 vertigomhs

vertigomhs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:37 AM

It's normal.

Can you post exact message?
Can you check, if you have ping.exe file in C:\Windows\System32 folder?
Did you try to connect laptop straight to the modem, bypassing router?

i tried the command again and i noticed i missed a space, so this time it worked, here is the message that showed up in notepad:

"Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again."

and yes, there is a ping.exe in the Windows\system32 folder.

i also tried connecting and pinging straight through the modem and skipping the router and i got the same result. (I restarted the modem in order to do this)

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

"Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again."

Yeah, that means, there is no connection whatsoever.

Try some basic steps (surely, skip those, which you can't execute):

Make sure, your computer is set to obtain IP address automatically.
1. Go Start>Settings>Control Panel (Vista/7 users: Start>Control Panel)
2. Double click Network Connections (Vista/7 users: Network and Sharing Center)
3. Vista/7 users - From the list of tasks on the left, click Manage network connections.
4. For a wired network connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and then select Properties.
For a wireless network connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and then select Properties.
5. From the General tab (Vista/7 users: Networking tab), click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), make sure it is checked, and then click Properties
6. Click Obtain an IP Address Automatically, and then click OK.

If that doesn't work...
Turn off computer. Disconnect router, and modem from power source for 1 minute. At the same time disconnect ethernet cable as well.
Reconnect everything.
Restart computer.

If that doesn't work, bypass router, and connect computer straight to the modem.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
net stop "dns client"
net start "dns client"

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

At Command Prompt, type in:
netsh int ip reset reset.log
Hit Enter.
Type in:
netsh winsock reset catalog
Hit Enter.

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Download, install, and run WinSockFix: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network...inSockFix.shtml (doesn't work in Vista)
Restart computer, and check again.

If that doesn't work...
Download Dial-A-Fix (DAF) (doesn't work in Vista):
http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix#...2C_and_articles

Have XP CD available in case DAF needs a file. Likely not!

Check all boxes on the screen (clear any restrictions if it shows any)
Then click GO!

When the entire page is finished click the HammerHead at bottom to go to the second DAF page.

Here, one at a time, do the below:

Reinstall BITS
Reinstall Windows Firewall
Repair Permissions
Reset networking

Watch for any File not found or other errors and make note as this may lead to the fix!

Restart computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 vertigomhs

vertigomhs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

okay i went through that whole list and unfortunately i still cant connect to the internet.

the REINSTALL BITS portion of the dial a fix section did ask for a file from the setup disk, which i had, so that installed correctly.

i also went ahead and re-installed internet explorer, as the icons didnt match the version of the browser...

any other ideas?

thanks

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:11 PM

Do you have any errors in Device Manager?
Did you try to reinstall network adapter driver?
What Windows version are we dealing here with?
Also, your computer may not be totally clean.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 vertigomhs

vertigomhs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:53 PM

Do you have any errors in Device Manager?
Did you try to reinstall network adapter driver?
What Windows version are we dealing here with?
Also, your computer may not be totally clean.

i checked device manager and no errors were present from what i can tell, i also checked the networking devices and they were fine.

i downloaded the updated drivers for the wireless and ethernet just waiting to install them once the virus scanning is done.

the laptop is running windows xp media center edition.

thats what im thinking, im currently scanning again with microsoft security essentials and malwarebytes, security essentials found a virus supposedly, named WPAKill (EDIT: after googling this i found out it has to with avoiding the activation process, but this copy of windows is legit, i guess the file came from the disk i downloaded to repair the install which i downloaded online, i thought it was just a retail image but i guess not.) or something along those lines, i got rid of it but i still cant connect to the internet.

im going to scan with clamwin right after; do you know of any other antivirus programs that have all the packages inside the installer? most ive found are all net installers (download the setup files from the internet) which dont work for me considering i dont have internet on the laptop.

Edited by vertigomhs, 11 May 2010 - 01:58 PM.

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:09 PM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users