Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCI Adapter is functional, not able to connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 coyotemoon722

coyotemoon722

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:17 PM

I've re-installed both the motherboard chipset driver and the device driver itself. Windows XP says the device is working properly. Internet was working yesterday, today it isn't. Help! (please)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

Did you set up the connection...using the Internet Connection Wizard?

What type of connection...broadband, dialup, dsl, etc.?

Louis

#3 coyotemoon722

coyotemoon722
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:35 PM

Uhm...I probably used the wizard when I set it up a long time ago. It's a wifi connection to what I believe is a cable modem signal. This computer I'm typing on is a lap-top with wi-fi, and it's catching the signal just fine.

I have permission to access the signal, I know the password, it's not even showing up though, no connections are showing up in the View Available Networks window.

#4 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:45 PM

what kind of card is it?
Netgear, Linksys, Intel
make and model please so we can tell if there is a radio button or switch on it to turn it off/on.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:03 PM

Hi coyotemoon722 and welcome to the BC forums!

I would like to help resolve your connection problem, but you have not provided enough information to give a good suggestion.

I see you are trying to connect to someone else's wireless router with one computer and can not connect, but you were originally able to.

So what we need to know is why you could then, but can't now.

Now on to a few questions.

Was you able to connect before you updated the drivers you spoke of in your opening post?

Are the owners of the router using any type of security on the connection such as WEP or WPA?

Are you scanning for the routers SSID broadcast name and if so are you selecting that SSID name from the list? If you did previously, you may have to come up with a new network connection on the computer you are trying to connect with, the Internet connection wizard should suggest a name for the connection like home network, then from there you should be able to scan for available wireless connections.

Post back what I asked and we'll see if we can help you resolve your problem.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 coyotemoon722

coyotemoon722
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

It's a Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter with Speed Booster (there is no on/off switch or switch of any kind)

Was you able to connect before you updated the drivers you spoke of in your opening post? Yes

Are the owners of the router using any type of security on the connection such as WEP or WPA? WEP

Are you scanning for the routers SSID broadcast name and if so are you selecting that SSID name from the list? If you did previously, you may have to come up with a new network connection on the computer you are trying to connect with, the Internet connection wizard should suggest a name for the connection like home network, then from there you should be able to scan for available wireless connections.

It's currently scanning as we speak, but finds nothing. The Linksys Monitor scans, as well as Windows. (I don't think I'm scanning for a specific name, before hand it would just list available networks in the "View Available Networks" Window)

Edited by coyotemoon722, 22 April 2010 - 10:28 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:29 PM

Ok based on what you have told us, there appears to be a problem with the driver that you installed for the wireless card, I would suggest going to device manager in the control panel and seeing if there is than issue with the driver for the card, if there is an exclamation mark showing it means there is something wrong with the driver you installed.

There should be an option available there in the update the driver part of device manager that you can roll back the driver, you should try that option and see if your internet connection does return like it was before you updated it.

Please try that and let us know if your connection does return back to normal.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 coyotemoon722

coyotemoon722
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:38 PM

Cannot Rollback Driver - No driver files have been backed up for this device.

Cannot Update Driver - The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:50 PM

There has to be an issue with that driver because everything worked fine until you updated that driver.

Can you post the cards model number if you could please, also post the driver version you presently have installed.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 22 April 2010 - 10:51 PM.

#10 coyotemoon722

coyotemoon722
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:03 PM

There has to be an issue with that driver because everything worked fine until you updated that driver.

No, I didn't update the driver until AFTER the connection stopped working. Everything was fine, and then I turned on my computer the next day and the connection wasn't working. It's possible that a WINDOWS update is what changed things, I don't know about that.

Anyway, the model # is WMP54GS Version 1.1

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:19 PM

Is there any firewalls that could be blocking the connection by any chance?

As for a windows update you can check to see if you installed an update by going to windows update and click on installed updates, I am sure you know what date your connection problems started happening, even if you can not get online, windows update should still show your installed updates, see if there was one that relates to a driver for the card updated by microsoft.
Or one you think might be causing your problem, there have been security updates in the past from Microsoft which have caused connection issues on some computers.

You can also check that status by returning to device manager and seeing who the driver was supplied by, by right clicking the adapter and looking to see if it says microsoft or linksys, not all of microsoft's recommended driver updates work as good as the actual manfactures drivers do.

Meanwhile I am going to check out linksys's web site to see if there is a possible better driver or known driver issues with your pci device. You may actually have generic drivers installed sometimes windows stupidly calls those the best drivers, when infact they are the best generics which don't always work.

#12 coyotemoon722

coyotemoon722
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:20 PM

Well, it looks like I fixed the connection problem. I just did a system restore to an earlier date (April 1). Now I can see the network and connect.

I've been having related issues with this computer freezing up, and being really slow upon reboot, so that may have caused something.

It's still having the slow/freezing issues.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:29 PM

Please check out this web page I have linked here, this shows the latest driver is dated 2005 and is version 3.100.46.0 the newer one is for Vista, your using windows XP and that one may not be compatible.

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireles...MP54GS/download

Keep us posted as to whether this is the driver you are presently updated to.

#14 coyotemoon722

coyotemoon722
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:48 PM

Will do, I'm probably going to have to either re-install Windows, try a register cleaner of some kind, or switch to Linux though. The machine is acting very slow now. It's sort of an old machine really, I think 5-7 years.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:49 PM

Well, it looks like I fixed the connection problem. I just did a system restore to an earlier date (April 1). Now I can see the network and connect.

I've been having related issues with this computer freezing up, and being really slow upon reboot, so that may have caused something.

It's still having the slow/freezing issues.

OK I figure an update from Microsoft may have caused the issue, make sure when you have automatic updates enabled, which I recommend for security issues, that you do not install drivers, unless you are installing them from the manufacturer's web site.

As for a slow computer, there are many things that can cause this to happen.

Some I will list along with recommendations.

A hard drive that has accumulated a lot of of un-used files or programs------use add or remove programs in control panel and remove what you don't need or use. Use disk clean-up by right clicking the hard drive and selecting disk clean-up.

A fragmented hard drive---right click the drives ICON and choose properties then disk defragmenter then de-fragment the drive.

If you have too many programs sitting in the system tray (near the clock) right click the programs you really don't need and choose that programs properties and look for start when windows starts and if it is enabled, un-check that option, so the program does not use resources when it is not being used, the more programs you have that start when windows starts, causes your computer to slow down.

Try up-grading the amount of RAM you have, to the highest possible amount your computer can support, remember once RAM is used up, your swap file has to take over on the hard drive and that is the slowest memory resource there is and slows your system performance considerably.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 23 April 2010 - 12:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users