Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to internet with apparent Windows Firewall Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TerryQ

TerryQ

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:07 PM

I'm logged on to another computer as the computer I need to fix will not connect to the internet, although it shows I am connected. I am working off a laptop connected through wireless to the same router. I have also turned the power off and on on the router just in case that was a problem. The computer in question is connected by wire to the router.

I'm certain I got attacked by a rogue virus, and after rebooting and quickly running Superantispyware it was seemingly removed. I subsequently ran AVGFree 9.0 just to be sure. I can get downloads from AVG but not Superantispyware.

I tried to get on yahoo and google, but no luck in connecting. I opened Network Diagnostics for Windows XP, and received the message "Windows cannot connect to the Internet using HTTP, HTTPS or FTP. This is probably caused by firewall settings on this computer. Check the firewall settings for the HTTP port (80), HTTPS port (443) and FTP port (21)"

I did this...fisrt I went into advanced settings on the firewall and put in or made sure (this was last night) that they were specified........no luck.

I then went in and added the ports to the exceptions, and again no luck.

Do you have any recommendations on what I should do next? Again, I can;t download anything to the computer in question, but I can on my laptop.

Thank you very much........

Regards,

Terry

EDIT: Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected, more appropriate ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2010 - 03:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TerryQ

TerryQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:46 PM

I found the answer by looking through other posts - the one that began April 8, 2010 entitled "Can't access internet Via Internet Explorer/Firewall Issue, message saying firewall issue."

TerryQ :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users