Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Antivirus 2010 and redirect virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 starr71

starr71

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:36 PM

A few days ago I got the dreaded Vista Antivirus popup. Had gotten it a few months ago and was able to get rid of it using Malwarebytes. So, used that again and it seemed to work. The next day I log on and notice that when I click on links in my search results, I'm redirected to unknown sites. I found this too was a virus and found online suggestions to use Malwarebytes and Adaware. Tried both, but still having problems. Plus, I've had Antimalware Dr. popups and similar popups show up again. Today I've only experienced redirected websites, but I'm almost afraid to browse anything online because it seems that everytime I do the popups start again. Can you advise how I can make sure I have these things deleted because I'm obviously not deleting everything that needs to be with the steps I'm taking. Thanks so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

Hello and welcome... I think this will help. You need to do all the steps.
Please follow our Removal Guide here How to remove XP Security Tool 2010,

You will move to the Automated Removal Instructions

After you completed that, post your scan log here,let me know how things are.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 starr71

starr71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:49 AM

Here is my log. Things seem to be working better today. My scan found 1 file instead of 3 as it had previously. Haven't been online much today, but when I was I didn't encounter a redirect problem or antivirus popups. I am getting a popup saying IE has encountered a problem and is closing, but it doesn't close. Then, in the bottom right corner it will pop up something about Data Execution Prevention. Not sure if any of that is related to the previous issues or not.

Thanks for the help.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.45
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4024

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18904

4/23/2010 1:18:39 AM
mbam-log-2010-04-23 (01-18-39).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 343302
Time elapsed: 3 hour(s), 25 minute(s), 19 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\Users\Tonya\AppData\Local\ave.exe.vir (Rogue.MultipleAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:51 AM

Ok we are making headway. We still may need to run a few scans to be clear.

Next run ATF and SAS: If you cannot access Safe Mode,run in normal ,but let me know.

Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 starr71

starr71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

This is the log I got. It seems to have removed a lot of unknown items. Will let you know if I experience any other issues. Thanks so much for the help.

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 04/23/2010 at 02:19 PM

Application Version : 4.35.1002

Core Rules Database Version : 4843
Trace Rules Database Version: 2655

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 03:36:12

Memory items scanned : 302
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 9675
Registry threats detected : 10
File items scanned : 231313
File threats detected : 125

Trojan.Dropper/Win-NV
[asam] C:\WINDOWS\ASAM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ASAM.EXE

Browser Hijacker.Deskbar
HKCR\Interface\{4897BBA6-48D9-468C-8EFA-846275D7701B}
HKCR\Interface\{4897BBA6-48D9-468C-8EFA-846275D7701B}\ProxyStubClsid
HKCR\Interface\{4897BBA6-48D9-468C-8EFA-846275D7701B}\ProxyStubClsid32
HKCR\Interface\{4897BBA6-48D9-468C-8EFA-846275D7701B}\TypeLib
HKCR\Interface\{4897BBA6-48D9-468C-8EFA-846275D7701B}\TypeLib#Version

Rogue.AntivirusSoft
HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\avsoft
HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\avsoft

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Users\Tonya\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\tonya@adecn[2].txt
C:\Users\Tonya\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\tonya@advertise[2].txt
C:\Users\Tonya\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\tonya@advertising[2].txt
C:\Users\Tonya\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\tonya@atdmt[1].txt
C:\Users\Tonya\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\tonya@counter.surfcounters[1].txt
C:\Users\Tonya\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\tonya@smartadserver[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@ad.jmg[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@ad.jmg[3].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@ad.yieldmanager[10].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@ad.yieldmanager[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@ad.yieldmanager[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@ad.yieldmanager[3].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@ad.yieldmanager[4].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@ad.yieldmanager[5].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@ad.yieldmanager[6].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@ad.yieldmanager[7].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@ad.yieldmanager[8].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@ad.yieldmanager[9].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@ad.zanox[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@adbrite[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@adbrite[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@adbrite[3].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@adbrite[5].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@adecn[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@adecn[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@adfarm1.adition[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@admarketplace[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@ads.gossipcenter[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@ads.gossipcenter[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@advertise[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@advertise[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@advertise[3].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@advertise[4].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@advertise[5].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@advertise[6].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@advertise[7].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@advertise[9].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@advertising[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@adx.bidsystem[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@apmebf[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@apmebf[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@apmebf[3].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@apmebf[4].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@atdmt[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@atdmt[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@atdmt[3].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@atdmt[4].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@atdmt[5].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@atdmt[6].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@atdmt[7].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@bridge2.admarketplace[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@cdn.jemamedia[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@clickpayz1.91469.blueseek[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@clickpayz1.91469.blueseek[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@clickpayz3.91469.blueseek[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@clickpayz7.91419.blueseek[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@clickpayz9.91469.blueseek[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@clickpayz9.91469.blueseek[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@collective-media[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@content.yieldmanager[10].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@content.yieldmanager[11].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@content.yieldmanager[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@content.yieldmanager[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@content.yieldmanager[3].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@content.yieldmanager[4].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@content.yieldmanager[5].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@content.yieldmanager[6].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@content.yieldmanager[7].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@content.yieldmanager[8].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@content.yieldmanager[9].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@doubleclick[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@doubleclick[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@doubleclick[3].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@doubleclick[4].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@doubleclick[5].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@doubleclick[6].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@doubleclick[7].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@doubleclick[8].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@doubleclick[9].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@dr.findlinks[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@dr.findlinks[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@enhance[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@enhance[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@enhance[3].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@enhance[4].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@enhance[5].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@enhance[6].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@fastclick[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@fastclick[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@fastclick[3].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@interclick[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@invitemedia[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@invitemedia[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@invitemedia[3].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@invitemedia[4].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@invitemedia[6].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@kontera[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@media6degrees[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@mediaplex[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@mediaplex[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@mediaplex[3].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@network.realmedia[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@network.realmedia[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@network.realmedia[3].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@questionmarket[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@questionmarket[3].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@realmedia[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@realmedia[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@realmedia[3].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@realmedia[4].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@revsci[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@revsci[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@ru4[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@tracking202.seewc[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@trafficengine[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@videoegg.adbureau[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@www.searchfindone[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@xml.trafficengine[2].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@zedo[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@zedo[3].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@zedo[4].txt

Trojan.Agent/Gen-Rogue[Installer]
C:\USERS\TONYA\DOCUMENTS\CUTEPASSWORDMANAGER[1]\SETUP.EXE

Adware.Rogue-Installer
C:\USERS\TONYA\FAVORITES\AD\BOOBLE TUBE.URL
C:\USERS\TONYA\FAVORITES\AD\BOOBLETUBE - THE BEST SEXTUBE ONLINE!.URL

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:19 PM

Ok, looks pretty good. When was Combofix run.

Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been backed up, renamed and saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista and Windows 7 users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point in Vista or Windows 7 and Disk Cleanup in Vista.

#7 starr71

starr71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

Not sure when Combofix was run. I haven't used it before, but asked a coworker to see if he could figure out what was going on before I posted here, so he might have run it. I haven't been online for a couple days, but did the restore point and cleanup a little while ago and so far so good. No redirects so far. I thank you for all your help. Will bypass the coworker next time and come straight here.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:18 PM

Cool !!!
WE should remove that combofix file with the tool
To uninstall ComboFix, press the WINKEY + R keys on your keyboard or go to Posted Image > Run... and in the Open dialog box, type:
ComboFix /Uninstall
  • Posted Image
  • Press OK.
  • Doing this will:[list]
  • Delete ComboFix's related folders and files.
  • Reset the clock settings.
  • Hide file extensions.
  • Hide System/Hidden files.
  • Clear the System Restore cache to prevent possible reinfection.
  • Create a new Restore point.
-- Vista users, users can refer to these instructions: How to Enable Run Command in Vista

finally...Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been backed up, renamed and saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista and Windows 7 users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point in Vista or Windows 7 and Disk Cleanup in Vista.

#9 starr71

starr71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

I think I got the Combofix files removed. Couldn't do it the way you instructed, when I searched nothing was found, so I went into my programs folder. Not sure I got everything that way but maybe I did.
There is still some redirecting of websites, but not as bad as it once was. I've also noticed that I can no longer run Check for Windows Updates. When I click on it I get an error icon but no message telling me why it's not working. Could this be related to a virus as well?
On a side note, yesterday I installed Zone Alarm as a firewall but kept getting a pop up saying IE was closing followed by a Data Execution Prevention message. So, I uninstalled that. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything or not, but that's the only thing I've done other than what you've instructed.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:27 PM

Then it is not all out. We will post some other logs and get a deeper look. This way we can be sure you are clean.
Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.

#11 starr71

starr71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:12 PM

Couldn't run GMER--system crashed twice while trying to run it.
I have posted the other logs.

Thanks

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:05 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/313095/revista-antivirus-2010-and-redirect-virus/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users