Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP ProBook 4415s - @&%$ F7 & F8 keys don't work

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GSBJoe

GSBJoe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:17 PM

My office switched out my laptop yesterday. I am getting ready to start working on some stuff, and I go to dim the screen a little so it doesn't burn my retinas. Buttons don't work. Every other function key works properly. Not only that, there does not appear to be any way in Winodws XP to dim and brighten my screen. Please help!! In my research it seems that when you remove the software that comes with HP's and Compaq's, you get this problem (our IT dept. wipes out every computer we use for some reason, and they are not much help fixing this for me.) I don't care about fixing it really, I just figured that there must be a way to dim the screen via the control panel... in the same way that one can use function keys to adjust the volume, or find a tool in the control panel to do it.

There is an ATI Catalyst Control Center here as well, but the best you can do with this is brighten & dim the color, which does not actually change the brightness of the screen.

Edited by GSBJoe, 21 April 2010 - 09:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:26 PM

Not sure about XP, but in Win 7 there is a brightness slider on the Control Panel/Power options page in my HP Laptop.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 GSBJoe

GSBJoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:21 AM

Thanks! Turns out the HP software that came with the laptop needed to be reinstalled. Otherwise, there was no way to dim the screen. This topic can be closed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users