Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 activation

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 FWPIII

FWPIII

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

I am upgrading a winxp dell laptop to win 7. The license is legit, I bought a new work system with a win 7 ultimate license and downgraded it to xp using my old xp license and wanted to use the win license to upgrade my home laptop, in effect swapping the licenses on both machines. I did a clean install on the home system, formatted the drive, the install appears to have gone correctly but never asked for the new license. When I try to enter the license manually it keeps telling me there is a problem and to call Microsoft and register over the phone. I would rather figure out what the problem is and get it corrected. I think the way I installed win 7 on my home system wasn't the best way to do it but at this point I'm not sure what the best next steps should be.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:04 PM

does it say it needs to be activated?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 FWPIII

FWPIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

There hasn't been anything prompting me to activate but when the activation fails it does say there are X days left to activate the product

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:24 PM

No, what you are trying is not possible unless someone comes along to correct me.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 FWPIII

FWPIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:26 PM

Why would that be the case? Do I need to reinstall xp and then install Win 7 on top of it?

#6 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:18 PM

Hi,

If I am understanding you correctly....

Bought a new computer with Win7 and downgraded to XP.

Took the Win7 and used it to upgrade another computer running XP.

Correct?

Sorry. That Win7 license is only valid on the new computer. It is specific to that computers hardware. It will not install on another computer. I realize that you are not using it on the original computer and it is in essence an even swap but Microsoft does not see it that way.

Sorry. :huh:

<edit - spelling>

Edited by thcbytes, 21 April 2010 - 09:19 PM.

Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:21 PM

Yes, I agree with thcbytes.

An excerpt from the Microsoft Software License Terms:

1. OVERVIEW.

a. Software. The software includes desktop operating system software. This software does not include Windows Live services. Windows Live is a service available from Microsoft under a separate agreement.
b. License Model. The software is licensed on a per copy per computer basis. A computer is a physical hardware system with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate computer.

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”
b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.
c. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time.
d. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#8 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:44 AM

The software is licensed on a per copy per computer basis.

a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

The way I read that is he/she's okay because they're only installing it on one computer. As long as they don't try putting it on another one, what's the difference?

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:42 AM

that, is a good question. Youd have to ask microsoft that one.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:31 AM

The key factor...is that said license came preinstalled on a given system.

That makes it an OEM license.

OEM licenses are not transferrable to a totally different system, by definition.

I currently have 4 licenses for Win 7...one is an OEM license which came preinstalled on a Dell laptop, while the other three are upgrade licenses purchased in a family-pack directly from Microsoft. I can install any of the three family-pack licenses on any system I choose...one time. I cannot install the Dell license on any other system.

Louis

#11 R D Kirkpatrick

R D Kirkpatrick

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

Hi Everbody! R Dan Kirkpatrick MCSD

You can easily use this copy of Win 7 on the new machine and I suggest you follow the prompts, call Microsoft and register the unit as installed on one PC and accept the code given to you. Takes roughly 6 minutes and if the OS is installed on one PC this is an legitimate method of registering/activating your product. If it is an OEM copy you can only install on the same manufacturers machine, ie: Dell to Dell, Hp to HP. If you are a little adventurous you will find you can update multiple PC's in this manner, so long as you do not attempt to do so on another manufacturers unit.

Done it dozens of times in the last few months and enjoyed success in every instance. The automated Microsoft service works with all of their OS products and with Office and Windows Genuine Advantage is satisfied as they gave you the Product Key/ID in the first instance.

Cheers

#12 pc101

pc101

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:39 PM

Oh-Boy ...M$ will make you cough up some $ for this ..... No choice but call them to resolve this ....
Very very bad move to downgrade wds7 to Xp .....

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:01 PM

on the bright side you can always reinstall windows 7 on the original computer and move the xp to the other one.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#14 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:39 PM

No choice but call them to resolve this ....

I have called Microsoft on numerous occasion. After bouncing around and quite a bit of effort they have always seen through my issues to complete satisfaction.

Here were 2 situations I encountered.

I had an XP machine that I changed the Motherboard and processor. The hardware was not recognized. I had to plead my case. That was an easy one.

Just recently I bought a W7 notebook and bought an online upgrade to W7 Professional. That computer bit the dust 4 weeks after purchase and so the manufacturer replaced it. I tried to apply the W7 Professional key to the replacement computer but it was rejected. I pleaded my case. Ran into a few road blocks. Got a little angry but eventually they allowed me to upgrade the replacement computer. I even got a supervisor that called me later to apologize for the runaround and make sure everything was alright.

It is worth the effort to call. I can't promise you it won't be a painful experience but ultimately they should be able to work it out for you. :huh:
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#15 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:18 PM

Yeah, fixing activation issues over the phone with M$ can require some finagling, but it usually works out. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users