Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard upgrade, same hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 acornman37

acornman37

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:12 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on upgrading my motherboard from the really old Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 to a Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H or something very similar. I'll also be upgrading my RAM and CPU but that's not as important for this question.

1. I wondering what are my options regarding my hard drive if I change motherboards? Is it very likely that I will have to install a fresh copy of windows 7 in order for the setup to run properly? I'll probably end up buying a small HD just to use as a boot drive if it's required that I install windows fresh.

2. I installed many of my programs onto a separate partition (D:) on my old HD, not the boot sector (C:). If I use a separated drive for booting, will the programs that I installed on D: run properly or will I need to reinstall every one due to registry key changes and such?

3. What are the risks if any of just assembling all of the hardware, sticking my hard drive on to the new mobo, and booting? Obviously there's the likely chance it won't boot, but will the data become corrupted or damaged? Will the hard drive explode? :thumbsup:

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:06 AM

If you're replacing a motherboard with a new non-identical one, then yes, you do need to reinstall Windows. Note that if you are using an OEM version of Windows you will need to repurchase a new license to remain compliant with the end-user license agreement since OEM versions are tied to the motherboard and cannot be moved. This is because Microsoft defines a PC based on it's motherboard, so, new motherboard, new PC. However, this restriction is not applicable to full, boxed, retail versions of Windows which can be moved between PC's. You will also need to reinstall all your programs again since applications put entries into the registry which will be wiped when you reinstall. If the new motherboard and the old motherboard are from the same manufacturer and have the same chipset, you may be alright simply plugging the drive into the new board. In this case, the motherboards are different and it is very likely the OS will not boot or be stable if it does boot.

3939.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:08 PM

FWIW: Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Louis

#4 acornman37

acornman37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

Ok, thanks. Looks like I'm going to have an adventure installing the millions of programs and apps again.

I realize that it probably won't boot if I hook up the hard drive to the new motherboard, but is there any risk to the data?

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:17 AM

I don't believe so, but then again, I've never done it since the chances of failure are so high. It is very unlikely you will be able to simply plug it in and run the new motherboard without reinstalling due to drivers.

Edited by DJBPace07, 23 April 2010 - 12:18 AM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users