Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow bootup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pourman

pourman

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

Hi All,

Have had an extremely slow boot up for a year or so and am wondering what is going on. The window that displays for almost 10 minutes is "Setting up personalized settings for - RUNDLL32IEDKCS32.DLL.BRANDIE4SIGNUP". This window appears over the desktop before shortcuts display.

Have a very recent HJT logfile if that helps.

Thanks....

The pourman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:06 PM

IEDKCS32.DLL is a part of Internet Explorer.
RUNDLL32IEDKCS32.DLL.BRANDIE4SIGNUP process normally should be running only during IE installation, during so called "branding" stage.

Let's see, what's running there.

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 pourman

pourman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:25 AM

Broni,

Thanks for looking into this...

Autoruns.txt file attached

Attached Files

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:33 AM

It looks like a top part of the file has been cut off.
Please, retry.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 pourman

pourman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

Broni,

here's another autoruns file from scratch. Ran it this morning and overwrote yesterday's file.

I see by your logo you believe Firefox chews IE. Do you use Thunderbird for mail? If so, I've got a situation that I can't resolve. I belong to a newsgroup and can't keep selected threads "starred" or "tagged".
They seem to keep being reset by something. In the same vein, is there a way to keep threads bold faced when new replies are made so that I can tell at a glance when a thread has been added to after previous reads? If you don't use "Thunderbird", do you know of a user group?

Thanks again.

Frank

Attached Files

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

I use TBird, but I don't use newsgroups, so no help here :thumbsup:

Nothing in Autoruns.

WARNING!!! This suggestion involves editing of the registry. Improper editing of the registry can cause your computer to become unbootable. ALWAYS backup your registry before modifying the registry.

To backup your registry, create a System Restore point. Alternatively, you can use the free utility ERUNT to create backups of your registry: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

For more information about modifying the registry, see this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/256986

======================================================================================

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedit).
2. From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following key:
Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components
3. On the Edit menu, click Find. Type in "STUBPATH" (without quotes), and then click Find Next.
4. Delete the string value named StubPath. Be sure to delete the StubPath value located in the Installed Components section of the registry only.
5. Continue this procedure until all values named StubPath are deleted from the Installed Components section of the registry.
6. Close the Registry Editor.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 pourman

pourman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:01 AM

Broni,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/sty...ult/thumbup.gif Looks like your registry tweak worked through 3 bootups - 2 hot 1 cold. Many thanks for looking into this and taking the time to reply.

Any suggestions on a mail client for subscribing to newsgroups?

Frank

#8 pourman

pourman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:53 AM

Guess I need to retract the previous msg.

Used NTREGOPT to consolidate my registry. When it finished it called for a reboot. The same msg "Branding IE" appeared and it took about 10 minutes under this msg to get to the desktop.

Used regedit to view registry for any "stubpath" covert addition and couldn't find any.

"Seems" like this is a sporadic issue being triggered by an infrequent app or process.

Any additional light or suggestions? I'm drinking way too much coffee waiting to get access to this BLEEPING COMPUTER!!!

Frank

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:56 AM

I suggest, you start a new topic in "Am I Infected?" forum, just to make sure, your computer is clean.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users