I use TBird, but I don't use newsgroups, so no help here
Nothing in Autoruns.WARNING!!!
This suggestion involves editing of the registry. Improper editing of the registry can cause your computer to become unbootable. ALWAYS
backup your registry before modifying the registry.
To backup your registry, create a System Restore point. Alternatively, you can use the free utility ERUNT to create backups of your registry: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
For more information about modifying the registry, see this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/256986
1. Start Registry Editor (Regedit).
2. From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following key:
Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components
3. On the Edit menu, click Find. Type in "STUBPATH" (without quotes), and then click Find Next.
4. Delete the string value named StubPath. Be sure to delete the StubPath value located in the Installed Components section of the registry only.
5. Continue this procedure until all values named StubPath are deleted from the Installed Components section of the registry.
6. Close the Registry Editor.