Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Soft Removal Qs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mitchellfan

mitchellfan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:51 PM

I'm new, but since I am not careful, I probably will be back from time to time.

Here are three issues for those who have the time and inclination to take pity.

1) I have Antivirus Soft. My Superantispyware.com stuff finds it, but can't seem to remove it. So, i have printed your guide. Question: Once I am in safe networking mode, when I click on the Tools- Internet Options- Connections- LAN Settings Proxy box to remove the check as directed, I lose my internet connection totally. Does that sound right? (I have a wireless router that plugs in like a flashdrive. It shows no lights at all). Can I work around that problem to remove this thing?

2) Is the removal something that I (a mere but slightly intuitive novice) can remove without making things worse?

3) Finally, when I click on Tools and get the Internet options box, that box is so large and fills up the screen that I can't access the OK button which is at the bottom. I can reduce the font on the screen, but not on the drop menu to make it smaller. Can't figure out how to reduce it so I can click on okay.

Thanks very much for all you all do.

P.S. Feel free to put this somewhere appropriate.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mitchellfan

mitchellfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:46 PM

So here is an update on my post (above) from Mitchellfan.

1) installed malwarebytes antimalware. entered into safeboot w/networking, etc. I had to load it onto flash drive b/c i couldn't get the internet once i unclicked the proxy thing. Not sure if this mattered but maybe it is a problem. I ran a full scan and came up with lots of items that were removed (Vundo stuff mostly, but no Antivirus soft), but still have the antivirus soft. in fact, it seems worse.

i ran it again by clicking on the shortcuts I had placed on the computer, and it showed zero infections. obviously not true b/c i am having lots of virus problems.

i saw elsewhere i could try system restore, but now that is apparently infected and won't open, even in safe boot. (Says it is temporarily unavailable or some such thing).

i really hate to pay for someone to fix this for me.

1. did it matter that I can't get the internet after I safeboot?
2. does it matter that i get the internet through a wireless router that plugs in like a flash drive?
3. should i move this PC upstairs where it is hardwired?
4. should i try this again? should i uninstall what I've done? what should I do?
5. should I buy a new PC?
6. will the Orioles win again?

I appreciate any help.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:26 PM

Here is a removal guide for that infection: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...-antivirus-soft

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 mitchellfan

mitchellfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for the guide, but my second post contains questions arising after i tried the guide. I'm not a technie and am not sure how to proceed. perhaps you can answer the questions?

Edited by mitchellfan, 22 April 2010 - 10:19 PM.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:21 PM

Hello,

It wasn't clear from your post that you had already followed the removal guide. Since you have, please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<==

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then post back here and we will provide you with further instructions.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users