Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should The European Continent Unite?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

I have read a book recently titled 'The Grand Chessboard' by Zbigniew Brzezinski and it got me thinking.
Should all the European countries unite to create a 'glorified EU'?
Basically, a system exactly like the US.
It sounds like a really nice idea to me, but there are obviously big things to consider.

This started from the Muse song 'united states of eurasia'!

Please give me your thoughts on this, it would be really interesting to see some reactions!

GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:39 AM

OK, just consider Australia and New Zealand as the EU part? Consider Asia as the rest?

You have the next Super Power!

In Asia, the EU part has been welcomed and Respected for many years where others have not been so fortunate. There are many Treaties and Agreements in place within that Area. The EU /AU Part have acted as Friendly Police for many years and are respected and admired for it.

Even involvement in Viet Nam showed that, refer here?

http://www.anzacday.org.au/history/vietnam/longtan.html

That was the only time that the Viet Cong ever attacked Australians or New Zealanders head on in the actual War.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 22 April 2010 - 02:53 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#3 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:00 AM

On your Theroy it is very possible for another Super Power to form.

Not one that most would like to see, but quite likely happening just now.

Just think about it?

China holds America's Debts, just like Europe was indebtet to America? Europe paid them Debts back, America had to borrow to cover. China loaned the Money. Now China has a Huge link to America's Debt. For the first time in American History.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 22 April 2010 - 03:07 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#4 duckne55

duckne55

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:55 AM

In theory, this would be beneficial, however when put to practice, it sucks.
For example, the EU cleaning up messes left by member countries, not only does this harm the economy of the EU, but it also gives the EU nations a bad rap.

#5 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:28 AM

The EU content is Australian and New Zealand?

They do not have the Debts of Europe?

Both have good Economies, as do most of Asia.

Ray.

What is a Dog?

#6 tjwh

tjwh

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:08 AM

My tin-foil hat wearing personality says that the national leaders would like to see this, because this means they get more power, which is all they are after. My rational hat wearing personality says he doesn't really care, as long as the government of the new EU suck less than the government of Holland does.

#7 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

I don't like very much Mr. Zbigniew Brzezinski because he is a man of the Council on Foreign Relations but, I understand very well that American people look at him almost like an heroe. European countries can never be as the United States because they don't have the same language. There are dozens of different languages inside the European Union and this is a fact that complicates the political union of them all.

In his book this "grise eminence" writes things like these:

1 - "It is imperative that no Eurasian challenger emerges capable of dominating Eurasia and thus of also challenging America. The formulation of a comprehensive and integrated Eurasian geostrategy is therefore the purpose of this book. (p. 14)

2 - "The economic self-denial (that is, defense spending) and the human sacrifice (casualties, even among professional soldiers) required in the effort are uncongenial to democratic instincts. Democracy is inimical to imperial mobilization." (p.35)

3 - "In the long run, global politics are bound to become increasingly uncongenial to the concentration of hegemonic power in the hands of a single state. Hence, America is not only the first, as well as the only, truly global superpower, but it is also likely to be the very last." (p.209)

Conclusion

This man is a dangerous lunatic one. For him, human life is nothing. Be carefull, because men like this are infiltrated into your two great major parties, Republicans and Democrats. Mr. Zbigniew Brzezinski is one of the main responsables for what's happening today in Afghanistan and Iraq. This man was the main teacher of Barak Obama and still is the man behind him.

Edited by Darthy, 14 May 2010 - 08:42 PM.

Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#8 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:23 AM

There's some interesting stuff here...
Lets have some more!
I am undecided as to whether it would be good or bad still...

#9 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

There are too many possibilities to this, like Darthy mentioned different languages become a problem just to list the main ones, English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese and there are many more like the Scandinavian languages of Finnish, Swedish and Norwegian, the Eastern Europe languages of Polish, Russian (Used as a language by some in the former USSR states), Latvian, Estonian etc.

The list becomes endless nearly, just 12 there alone nevermind the Balkan Countries languages and various other Eastern Europe languages I haven't added.

Another factor to consider is national sovereignty, I'm pretty sure countries like Germany and France wouldn't want to give that up, We in the UK certainly don't 80% or so of people here want a Referendum on our EU participation and from the sounds of it (myself included) would vote no to staying in the EU, it is a failed bureaucracy as has been proven with the Greek debt crisis, it couldn't handle the crisis sufficiently to get the Markets off the Euros back, Germany was reluctant at first to bail Greece out other Eurozone countries wanted to, no one could agree for weeks, now if that isn't an ineffective bureaucracy then I don't know what is.

And just with the national sovereignty point alone, I can quote a saying I read somewhere "Without political union there can be no economic union" or words to that effect. It might be a nice dream to have but it would take quite a few more treaties to integrate European countries fully and a lot of political will and since us in the UK are pretty much guaranteed a referendum on the next treaty when or if it comes and are most likely to vote no to the EU treaty (obviously unless it suits us well enough that we won't lose more national powers) and thus pull out of the EU unless some sort of amendment is made but my guess would be that the British public would keep voting against the treaty and we would have to pull out of the EU thus destroying the prospect of the EU being a Superpower, or at least I think it would, the EU without the UK would be seriously weakened, though I do think we would prefer being in the EEA like Norway, the EEA basically allows the country access the the Single Market and the free trade agreements between EU countries without being in the EU or Euro.

And the European states aren't exactly debt free, the welfare states we have effectively created have left us with massive amounts of debt and governments getting ready to slash budgets substantially, the UK has around 60% of debt to GDP, France has a similar ratio, Germany has about 70% to debt to GDP, Italy has over 100% debt to GDP, Spain is in the mid 50%'s, Portugal is pretty similar to France and the UK, thus you see the picture of heavily indebted states needing to cut there budgets, now obviously Europe isn't a beacon of fiscal prudence but certainly better than the US in most cases.
The more fiscally prudent examples to watch are Canada (with their very effective budget cutting in the 90's, although they do have an advantage most European countries don't Oil and various other valuable resources), Australia again relatively low indebted government similar to Canadian government debt if not better but again the same valuable resources advantage.

So yeah anyway sorry but I seriously doubt a massive European Union will ever happen based on my first 3 or so paragraphs, not that the US had it easy forming a union of states I'm pretty sure they had some language problems too? French and Spanish along with English?, Spanish is recognised as an Official language in the US isn't it?

#10 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:18 AM

Great Post, young man, you are maturing quite nicely, Proud of you.

Ray.

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users