Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it a good idea to run Avast and malwarebytes (real time protection) at the same time?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hawk17

hawk17

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:08 PM

I've been using Webroot Anti-virus with Spy Sweeper but am looking to change as viruses have recently crippled my computer.

I am interested in using Avast and malwarebytes. Can they both be used for real time protection or would they conflict with each other (and/or take up too much resources)? I am looking at getting the paid version of malwearebytes for real time protection.

Would running only one of these programs as real time protection sufficiently protect my computer from virusues, malware and spyware or would using only one leave me vulnerable?

Thanks for any insight here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:39 PM

I see you have an open log topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/309829/google-redirect-fake-virus-warnings-antivirus-plus-popup-xp-security-center-and-other-assorted-issues/

Please finish up there with m0le before making any changes to your system not called for by m0le.

But to answer your question, I highly recommend Avast. As for MBAM, I use the free version for on demand scans. Read this:

The full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware includes the ability to schedule updates and provides a real-time malware protection module that stops malicious processes before they can infect your computer. The Protection Module is not intrusive as it utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs. Keep in mind that Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute. Those who purchase the full version receive a license key via email which includes a lifetime of free upgrades and support. For corporate and business customers, annual licenses are required.

Also:

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular combination that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. You may need to experiment and find what is most suitable for your needs. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use paid for products or free alternatives.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using all their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 hawk17

hawk17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for your help.

Also, I was definitely not planning to do anything to my computer until after m0le got through helping me. I'm just thinking ahead for when my computer is back to normal (hopefully).

Edited by hawk17, 21 April 2010 - 10:19 PM.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:37 PM

You're welcome. :flowers:

Okay, that's good. I still have to give that response whenever a malware topic is ongoing, just to be sure. :thumbsup:

Also, please edit and remove the quote from your last post. It is not necessary to quote somebody when you reply (especially if it's a large quote) unless you want to reply to a particular part of that post. :trumpet:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 21 April 2010 - 06:38 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users