Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Potential motherboard issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeebus

Jeebus

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

Hi there, I've been given an old custom-built PC to try and fix. The main symptom is that the computer won't display anything on the monitor, the monitor just remains in standby as if the computer isn't even turned on.

The motherboard is a Jetway N2PAP-Ultra. I've tried several monitors and graphics cards that have been working in other machines so those can be ruled out.

I've tried replacing the graphics card and power supply, as well as starting it with only the power, monitor, and a single RAM module connected. I've tried clearing the CMOS both by bridging the jumpers specified in the manual and removing the CMOS battery, neither of those worked either. I also blew the computer clean with compressed air as it was thick with dust bunnies.

So far nothing's working. There's not even any beeps from the POST section that indicate any activity. It sounds as if the processor is occasionally working quiety but other than that there's no indication of any activity apart from the fans spinning as normal. I'm imagining that the POST is displaying some kind of message or prompt and waiting for input but pressing anuthing on the keyboard produces nothing either.

I'm absolutely stumped for the cause. The only thing I can think of is a motherboard problem, but I would like some other opinions, maybe I've missed something.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:40 PM

It sounds as if the processor is occasionally working quiety but other than that there's no indication of any activity...........

Did you try booting with only PSU, video hooked up? If it doesn't post with just CPU, RAM, and video, either motherboard or CPU are the prime suspects. Look at the caps for any signs of bulging/leaking. Ck heatsink as I have had a few older P4 and Athlon systems with broken cooler retainers that won't post or beep as the CPU goes into thermal shutdown, or fry in AMDs case.

Edited by dpunisher, 21 April 2010 - 03:42 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Jeebus

Jeebus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

Yeah I've tried it with just the PSU and video hooked up, still won't give anything.

The capacitors all look fine, I'll check the heatsink just now, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users