Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost modem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:44 PM

hi,
I'm posting this for a friend as they are unable to get on the Internet.
They had windows 98 on there machine and have now installed XP on it but since this they are unable to connect to the Internet. it says its unable to find the modem. i have asked them to look in device manager to see if the modem is found there but there's nothing there.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to get the machine to detect the modem again.
cheers for any help

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wannabeadmin141

wannabeadmin141

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:56 PM

is this an older machine? ..must be if you were working with 98.
if the modem was in working condition,which i will assume it was, when you installed the new OS (XP) the only i thing i could think of is that it the modem isnt supported by the new OS ..a couple thnigs to try:

-download the newest device drivers for the modem from the mfg website.
-if you have the installation cd from when you first bought the pc, open up control panel, add new hardware, and try selecting the modem from the list of hardware.
-open up the pc.. unplug the modems power cord and secure it firmly and see if its recongnized when you power up the machine.

i'm out of options!

"As it was in the beginning, it will be in the end "

#3 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 01:07 PM

I feel you just need latest modem drivers for windows xp. But before installation of drivers make sure its detected in the system device manager. Possible you might try to reinsert the modem into the pci slot like wannabeadmin141 has suggested.

Get back with more details on what kinda system and modem are you using. We assumed its an internal PCI modem.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 01:10 PM

They need to see if an updated driver for Windows XP exists for their modem.
Download Aida 32 which should give you a description of the modem installed which you can then use to search for a Win XP driver is one exists.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html

#5 madnlooney

madnlooney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 01:16 PM

cheers for the quick replys.

ive let her know what she will need to do. she would be unable to download the app and im miles away to help. hopefully updating the drivers will help, but dont think this would as its not even detected in device manager. im guessing the modem doesnt support xp.
yeah its an internal one and the machine is very old as it had win 98 on. which it worked fine then

#6 sakaman

sakaman

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 04:54 PM

hi

well I have a SupraMax 56k usb modem, a little bit of junk but it helps.
It wasn't combatible with Windows XP ,i download new drivers from http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/305.htm (Actually i searched from google using my modem's name) and until now everything is fine

It is an idea you could try it

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: , Sakaman

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 08:49 PM

cheers for the quick replys.

ive let her know what she will need to do. she would be unable to download the app and im miles away to help. hopefully updating the drivers will help, but dont think this would as its not even detected in device manager. im guessing the modem doesnt support xp.
yeah its an internal one and the machine is very old as it had win 98 on. which it worked fine then

If they exist, you can download the drivers to a floppy using another machine (a friend's, one at the library, etc)

Edited by Enthusiast, 24 September 2005 - 08:49 PM.

#8 madnlooney

madnlooney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:48 PM

thanx for the all the suggestions, just got an external one and is all solved. modem was that old

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users