Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How would you go about doing malware removal and protection?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 myitanalyst

myitanalyst

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:23 PM

I have a post here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/311540/how-do-you-bill-charge-for-malware-removal-and-computer-updates/ that discusses the aspects of how you would bill a customer when you have done a malware removal and complete update / protection of system that takes many hours to complete.

One of the things I note in that post is there would likely be comments on what you would do to speed up the process or how you would go about doing it to keep the total hours down to a minimum.

What I would like to discuss here is how and what do you do to keep the total number of hours down when you are doing a complete malware cleaning of a unit with your average to tough malware as well as when you are having to completely update the OS (service packs), install anti-malware tools, update programs, and etc to make the system as defensive as you can for your customer.

Let me give some examples from the other post and then please give feedback on how you handle these situations.

Let's say I have a client with a personal computer. They have 80GB of actual data all on the same drive as the OS, they have very little protection in place, their OS is multiple service packs behind, and they have multiple unknown pieces of malware on the system.

So let's say you go through the normal process of running the 2 to x number of tools you normally would run to clear of malware. You also go through your own personal investigation to catch things not found by the anti-malware tools. You then proceed with installing your recommended tools (paid or free)... like anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, innoculation programs and so forth. You also go through the process of patching the OS with the latest service packs and patches that the user hasn't done. You also update all the applications that have been waiting to be updated that the client never did. You clean up all the crap toolbars, because they now only see 1" of browser screen due to the 6 toolbars installed, you start uninstalling all unneeded programs, removing items form startup, and so forth.

So basically at this point you could easily have 5 to 6 hours of time into the computer.

Now lets' say I charge $65 for my General IT service work. This can start to add up for the customer.

Now in the above example time easily passes as you are doing all of this.

What do you do to speed up the process???

Do you always blow the OS away and start from scratch?
Do you have some sort of image you use with the latest SP's and tools that you install and then you get the MS Key in place and so on and so on?
If so how do you deal with the different hardware differences?
What about installed software packages that came with the unit?
Users applications...etc.

Even when I have used a similar technique it still takes hours to do to get everything back where you need it (unless you had a recent image of that exact unit).

I think you get the picture... what do you do to minimize the time it takes for all your clients? And if it still takes a large amount of time how do you bill them? (respond about billing in the other post provided above).

Thank in advance for your thoughts on this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users