Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop mouse extremely slow & sluggish until Synaptics drivers uninstalled, returns to slow when computer auto installs Synaptics drivers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki1

Nikki1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:07 PM

Hi! I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this problem.

My laptop is about 5 years old, HP Pavillion dv2000. It has been working fine until about a week ago. One day I got on here and noticed the mouse is going extreeeemely slow and it's sluggish. I had to push really hard on the pad to get the mouse pointer to move and it would lag really bad. So I uninstalled the Synaptics drivers and when I restart the computer, the mouse works PERFECT. The computer shows under My Computer-->Properties-->Hardware-->Device Manager that "unknown device" is under Mouse but it only takes a few seconds and my computer will automatically reinstall the Synaptics drivers. It then tells me to reboot my computer again, and as soon as I do, the mouse is hard to work with again. If I don't reboot the computer, however, it continues to work just fine. But it's annoying not being able to restart my computer.

I've tried going to the Synaptics website and I've gone to the HP website and manually installed the mouse drivers compatible with my computer and it does the same thing.

If my mouse functions perfectly without drivers and I only have a problem when I install the Synaptics drivers, I don't want any drivers installed! But my computer will not let me get by with that - it automatically installs Synaptics drivers. I read in another post to disable Plug & Play under Services but that did my computer no good and it seemed to cause problems, so I changed it back. I also read to reboot my computer in safe mode to avoid the automatic install of drivers but it still installs them.

To get by for now, I am uninstalling the Synaptics drivers, then I restart my computer, then when it detects new hardware and installs the Synaptic drivers, it says I need to reboot my computer for the new hardware to work properly. As long as I don't restart my computer the mouse works just great. As soon as I restart, the Synaptics drivers are installed again and it's really hard to work with the mouse.

Anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:11 PM

Seems to me your mouse is dying, I would disable it and use an external one.

#3 Nikki1

Nikki1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

Seems to me your mouse is dying, I would disable it and use an external one.

It works just fine when I uninstall the Synaptics drivers, though. So it isn't a hardware problem.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

How does that indicate a dying mouse? it might just be a problem with the synaptic drivers, me personally i hate synaptic drivers i try not to use them they are to much of a hassle, anyway if it works with out them then lets find a way to keep windows from installing the drivers, so that way she has at least a solution to the question that she asked.

Also the buying an external mouse might not be an option for her. Also to the poster i will research and see if i can find a way to fix this.

Edited by computerxpds, 21 April 2010 - 01:18 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 Nikki1

Nikki1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:18 PM

How does that indicate a dying mouse? it might just be a problem with the synaptic drivers, me personally i hate synaptic drivers i try not to use them they are to much of a hassle, anyway if it works with out them then lets find a way to keep windows from installing the drivers, so that way she has at least a solution to the question that she asked.

Thank you. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Or if I could manually install some non-Synaptics drivers that would allow my mouse to work, that would be great too. But if someone knows of a way to keep it from automatically installing the drivers altogether...

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:42 PM

How does that indicate a dying mouse?

In the past with my experience with mice if the driver causes the device to stop working and the generic driver doesn't then there is a device issue. The driver used to load the device activates all of the devices features.

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

yes, but upon a google search i have found that there are a lot of people that report an issue with the touch pad on this particular machine--> http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&...bcdf8cbbf06dc4f also again synaptic drivers are the worst.

Also to the Poster it may take me a few days to find a solution so be patient also some other members may offer a solution as well just try what they suggest unless it involves getting a new mouse which is still an option if you want. :thumbsup: But i will still continue to look. :flowers:

Edited by computerxpds, 21 April 2010 - 02:01 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:25 PM

You could check your system BIOS...and see if there is an option for disabling the Synaptic touchpad.

Devices disabled in the BIOS...do not appear in Device Manager, require no drivers.

If not, then the device can be disabled in Device Manager, again requiring no drivers to install if disabled.

Louis

#9 Nikki1

Nikki1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:03 PM

You could check your system BIOS...and see if there is an option for disabling the Synaptic touchpad.

Devices disabled in the BIOS...do not appear in Device Manager, require no drivers.

If not, then the device can be disabled in Device Manager, again requiring no drivers to install if disabled.

Louis

But if I disable it, I don't think it will work at all, drivers or not, correct? Id like to keep using the touchpad mouse. Also it would not be convenient for me to use a separate usb mouse. I would like to try and fix the problem or somehow bypass it first, if at all possible. Thanks

#10 Nikki1

Nikki1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

yes, but upon a google search i have found that there are a lot of people that report an issue with the touch pad on this particular machine--> http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&...bcdf8cbbf06dc4f also again synaptic drivers are the worst.

Also to the Poster it may take me a few days to find a solution so be patient also some other members may offer a solution as well just try what they suggest unless it involves getting a new mouse which is still an option if you want. :thumbsup: But i will still continue to look. :flowers:

Yes. Kep looking, please. Thank you. Or let me know of some other drivers I could use besides Synaptics.

#11 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

Well, if you want to uninstall the Synaptics drivers and keep them from reinstalling upon reboot, you would need to delete them:

Posted Image

After reboot, Windows will install generic drivers which may or may not work perfectly.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#12 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

thank you for helping KN i did not know that you could do that i will remember it for future reference! :thumbsup: TO the original poster do that and it should fix it and dont forget to thank Keyboardninja and again i thank you bud! :flowers: :inlove:

Edit: Also to kn the op said that it worked with generic drivers installed so it should work. :trumpet:

Edited by computerxpds, 21 April 2010 - 05:30 PM.

sigcomp.png 

#13 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:42 PM

Always happy to help. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#14 Nikki1

Nikki1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

Always happy to help. :thumbsup:

Thanks keyboardninja, but I do not have the option to check that "remove software" box on mine.

Any other suggestions?

Attached File  driver_pic.JPG   53.4KB   19 downloads

#15 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:32 PM

Hmmm....not at the moment...

Give me a little while and I'll see if I can find anything else. :thumbsup: