Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

the iPhone 4G myth or not?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

who here thinks the new 4G iPhone that was found in a bar was really lost? who thinks it was a stunt by apple? also what are your opinions on it?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thicool

thicool

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

i believe that it was a publicity stunt by apple to create more hype and excitement about there new iPhone.
I think that there plan is working wonderfully too, because they knew it would be all over the internet.

now all apple has to do is sit back and leave people wondering and wanting.

they may also be using this stunt to get some public advice on the phone. go to any tech review site and read some of the comments left by people, people are, without knowing, giving excellent ideas and opinions to apple.

they think they're slick, and they are.

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:39 PM

well apple did lose money on getting it back it was very funny. but I Don't know that it was on purpose, considering apples track record on secrecy but you could be right.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 tjwh

tjwh

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:41 PM

I agree this is a publicity stunt.

It is all just to unlikely; someone forgetting a priceless prototype in the bar is hard to imagine. An apple employee doing this is even less probable.

Also, why did apple take so long to get the phone back? For a company so concerned with secrecy, I would have expected them to get the prototype back as soon as GIZMODO started bragging 'lolololol look wat we found guise'. Speaking of GIZMODE; why show us the disassembled phone, but not the pictures of the 'connecting to itunes' screen? Come to think of it, this makes the story more credible. Who cares about the noise cancellation mike, and the squarer case? Software and apps are way more interesting. If I would have devised this campaign, I would have let GIZMODO make a big thing about the wonderful new IPHONE4 OS. That matters more to the consumer than the apple logo moving 2 um.

So yeah, my gut says viral, but the facts are inconclusive. Still, it is Apple, so I don't really care.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:20 AM

I'm not so sure it was an Apple created event since having actual knowledge about the next iPhone, and not just conjecture, may affect current sales.

I mean, why buy a iPhone 3G when you know that once the 4G model is released you'll get better battery life (very important), a front facing camera allowing video conferencing, a higher resolution display, and the capability of running the improved OS that will allow multiple Apps to be run at one time?

Just an observation.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:50 PM

I disagree JohnWHo for two reasons:
  • There are folks who buy the latest greatest thing out no matter what the cost is, whether it's because they want to be "first" or because they like checking the newest stuff out. So that wouldn't affect that crowd
  • If someone needs a phone NOW and they like the iPhone, they have to buy the version that is out NOW. That happened with me and Vista. I knew Win7 was coming out at some point, but i didn't know when. I built this system with 8GB's of Ram and needed a 64 bit OS. I certainly wasn't going to put a dead OS in it (XP) and I couldn't wait for Win7 that wasn't even out in Beta. While I hated to buy an OS that was going to be (IMHO) orphaned fairly soon, what else was I to do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users