Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AOL Security

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Charanne52

Charanne52

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:33 AM

I live in a remote area with only dial up internet access so I am limited in my choices of internet providers. Therefore, AOL Canada has been my source of internet access and while I have had my problems with them they appear to be the best choice for what is available to me. I recently had my five year old computer completely overhauled so I'm pretty sure that spyware/malware etc. is not the issue. In addition to having the dust cleaned out I had all unnecessary programs removed and only reinstalled software that I wanted. A newer version of AOL (9.5 to replace the previous 9.0 Optimized) was installed in my computer but I later had to switch back to the 9.0 Optimized as AOL agents advised me that the 9.5 was not ready for use in Canada. After that, my computer started acting sluggish and my internet pages would suddenly start jamming together and nothing would work for at least 5 minutes. Sometimes I lose patience and manually turn the computer off and start over. I really suspect it has something to do with the AOL security (which insists on scanning just about whenever it chooses) and I vaguely remember some problems with it a few years back and think I uninstalled the security aspect of AOL and just used AVG. Unfortunately, I can't remember what I did so my question is - can I safely uninstall AOL security and use a different product and if I can, how do I do so. I'm pretty sure I would have trouble getting this answer from AOL. I do appreciate any help you can give me.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 21 April 2010 - 07:45 PM.
Move to AV forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:16 PM

Did you make sure that AOL was completely gone from your computer? AOL used to use McAfee for their anti-virus.

Do you have AVG installed if so remove it, and get Avast or Avira.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:05 AM

AOL has been partnered with McAfee for years and as I recall they were offering McAfee VirusScan Plus -- Special edition from AOL as part of their Basic security package for dial-up and McAfee Internet Security Suite - Special edition from AOL for members with high speed connections. AOL also inclues Parental Controls software.

How to Uninstall McAfee Internet Security Suite Special edition from AOL
How to Uninstall AOL Parental Controls software

In the past, AOL offered Total Care, its own competitive answer to Windows Live OneCare, Microsoft's all-in-one security suite.

Other security features offered by AOL as part of its protection package have included SpyZapper and AOL Spyware Protection. SpyZapper worked alongside Spyware Protection to automatically target spyware and other programs that caused connection problems, performance issues, and security risks. The SpyZapper feature scanned the computer and helped members decide whether they wanted to block any programs it identified. IMO both features were not very effective.

How to Uninstall AOL Safety and Security Center or One of Its Components
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users