Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wii Internet Security

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Damski

Damski

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:26 AM

Hope I posted in the right spot......looking to find out how to protect my Wii from security threats while useing the internet browser. I believe it uses "OPERA".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

The Wii does indeed use Opera. However, it doesn't need security, since it can't execute anything as far as I know.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:15 PM

a Wii does not need any kind of internet security software, nor can it really run it. on a computer its needed, however a wii can only really run one application at a time-not two (firewall and the game for example) more information here http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...13131345AA4sGxt

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Damski

Damski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:47 PM

Thanks patriot and dawg. This site is so helpfull. Thanks again!

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:29 AM

Although if you use a router you can be assured you are safe.

#6 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:11 AM

Well, there isn't a threat from viruses and the such, but I would make sure everything is encrypted. If encryption is not turned on, a Wii as well as any other wireless devices on the network could still be vulnerable to any information sent (credit card info, etc..)

All of that can be configured on your router (which it most likely already is) under wireless settings.

I live in an apartment complex, and it amazes me the number of open networks there are that I could connect to.
Posted Image

#7 nqzdepofltr

nqzdepofltr

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

It might, I heard Wii uses Linux but most hackers focus on Windows.

Edited by nqzdepofltr, 11 August 2010 - 09:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users