Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Someone has access to my email.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stu636

stu636

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:04 AM

Hi,

I have noticed that today someone has gained access to my Aol email account, and sent 5 spam emails to all my contacts in my address book.

I have since tried changing my password, but when I answer the security question, Aol then tell me access is denied, but will allow me to carry on using my account as per normal with my password. So there is no way for me to change my password.

I do not use Aol as my Internet Provider, just for emails.

I have ran SUPERantispyware and Malwarebytes scans, which both came up clean.

Any ideas on why or how I can stop this happening?

I also use Avira Anti Virus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:46 AM

If you cannot change your email password, you should create a new account, and do not reference the infected account when signing up for the new one. Some email services require you to use an existing email address so they can send confirmation that the new email account is ready and waiting for you to acitivate.

I would also suggest that you make your password more difficult, I.E using upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters. This makes guessing and hacking more difficult.

Do not open unknown mail or attachments, i have heard that even scrolling over links or email subjects in the lit of emails can start a background download of whatever malicious content was intended for you.

Im paraniod about it to the point i just use the select all button and scroll down off to the side so i dont scroll over anything accidently.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users