Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Tool Virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tdcotoni

tdcotoni

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:35 AM

Hello,

I somehow became infected with a virus called Security Tool. It continuously scans my pc & informs me that I am infected with these other viruses (but I am not) and that I need to register (aka, give them my credit card info) so Security Tool can fix my computer.

I have followed advice from other posts - Restart in SAFE mode with networking. Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data and delete the folder(s) with eight numbers in the name (ex 9198431). I empty the recycling bin, delete the leftover shortcuts, empty the recycling bin & restart.

This works great for a short amount of time & then I get the message again "Security Tool Installed Successfully" and I have to do it all over again. Is there any way to get rid of this virus for good?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pajajn

Pajajn

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:22 AM

Hmm try with this instead :thumbsup:

Install malwarebytes from this download link:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Install it, and unplug your ethernet by doing:
click on "show all connections" from start-menu

Right click your adapter, and choose "disable" from the drop menu

Now with internet disabled for this moment, continue with:
1.Install mbam.exe that youve previously downloaded
2.Tick the option "full scan"

Wait untill the scan is done.
Select all threats found in the list and select "remove selected"

Restart computer, and open the installation folder with this "Fake antivirus" which
are in "C:\programs\ something with the fakeantivirus and hopefully there schould only be
one or few more .dll's left that you could manually delete and "empty recycle bin afterwards"

If youre getting a error message from windows with:
"this file could not be deleted, currently in use"
then download and install a program called Unlocker from ccollumbs site
And then try delete again :flowers:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:54 AM

FWIW: BC Guide, Uninstall Security Tool.

I am moving this topic from XP to the Am I Infected forum...where malware issues can begin to be resolved by BC personnel trained to do such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users