Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Settings changed mysteriously on email account, Computer hangs on boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mr.black

mr.black

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:24 AM

PROBLEMS: (Persistent problems after using the tools are listed at the bottom of this post)

1. Everytime I log in to my email account, the settings are already changed.
2. Everytime I visit antivirus sites, computer hangs.
3. Everytime I turn the computer on, it hangs and I have to reboot it each time.
4. Aside from the malware symptoms, the most disturbing part of the problem is, someone knows what I'm doing on my computer. And he boldly tells me HE KNOWS.

I tried the following malware tools:

1. MalwareBytes Antimalware -- no threats detected

2. SuperAntispyware -- 56 infections -- already removed

3. Spybot Search and Destroy -- 3 or 6 persistent tracking cookies -- removed

4. Advanced SystemCare -- still using, reports a number of infections occasionally, removed each time but doesn't seem to solve the problem(s)

5. IOBitSecurity -- still using, reports a number of infections occasionally, removed each time but doesn't seem to solve the problem(s)

I uninstalled the first three and kept the last two because they were the most convenient to use and if I kept too many malware tools, my computer runs extremely slow.

I have also tried using the ff. intrusion detection/prevention systems:

1. With SNORT, I couldn't interpret the results displayed.
2. With SAX2, I have to manually find solutions to any detected intrusions, which was kind of tedious and a little confusing since I'm not that savvy in terms of computer security.

Both were uninstalled because of user inconvenience and it interfered with computer speed.

Rootkit removal tools that I used:

1. Blacklight Rootkit Eliminator. Nothing was found.
2. RootkitRevealer. It only revealed suspicious activity on certain files and registry entries but I don't know how to remove the ones I suspect the most (based on the time stamp and the nature of the file).

First one is now uninstalled.

Antivirus:

Avast! - When I ran it on safe mode, the virus chest only reported a scanning error (fishy?). On normal mode, it says 0 infected files.

Firewall: Windows Firewall -- I can't install a new one because everytime I do, the computer won't start properly. I already tried turning the Windows one off and installing the new firewall, computer still doesn't start properly. I only get a black screen. I wait for like, 15 mins, the screen's still blank.

Antiphishing tool: Netcraft toolbar

AntiKeylogger tool: Snoopfree --This has mysteriously disappeared on my computer. Without a trace.

Extra privacy tool:

IPshield -- This has mysteriously disappeared on my computer. Without a trace.
Tightened settings on firewall and browser

PERSISTENT PROBLEMS:

1. Everytime I log in to my email account, the settings are already changed.
3. Everytime I turn the computer on, it hangs and I have to reboot it each time.
4. Aside from the malware symptoms, the most disturbing part of the problem is, someone knows what I'm doing on my computer. And he boldly tells me HE KNOWS.

Please help. Thanks.

Edited by mr.black, 21 April 2010 - 08:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:02 PM

We need a deeper look. Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users