Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Limited accounts internet access problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Linclass

Linclass

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:46 AM

This problem has been :inlove: bugging :cool: me for a while and after yet another virus attack due to my children downloading stuff [I have sorted this :thumbsup: ], I would like to fix the problem

Both computers run windows XP the main one is hard wired to the modem and the laptop connects via a wireless router.

I have set up limited user accounts on the main computer with access to the Internet using Firefox and everything is running OK.
:flowers:
However the laptop will not allow limited accounts to access the internet FireFox [preferred browser] it looks like it fails to open [though you have to shut programme down on exiting the account] and IE opens but the page fails to load.

IF I change their accounts to admin ones go into their accounts and access the internet leave it open and then go back to mine and change their user permission to limited. It is still working fine until they either log out or switch teh computer off.

Is there a problem with how the laptop is connecting to the network? On their limited account the WIFI connection is shown to be working.

Can anyone help me resolve this problem, I have seen countless posts on the web, but none [so far] with a clear guide on how to resolve this issuer.

Many thanks, any help is really appreciated, before I let the children back on the laptop :trumpet: .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:51 AM

Hi -

What AntiVirus are you using and are you updating it -

Thank You -

#3 Linclass

Linclass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:58 AM

AVG 9.0.814 which is on auto-update

I also have Spyware blaster and spybotsearch and destroy, although I update these manually on a regular basis, full protection to the other accounts is not updated unless I go into each account to do this. I discovered this when I was fixing the problems

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:11 AM

Hi Again -

Each unit needs a decent Antivirus installed first - You should also download and install Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware - This Must be done on Every computer being used and updated twice a week with scans - Spybot S&D is now a bit outdated for constant usage like yours -
Personally I would install Avast 5 (free) or Microsoft Security Essentials (free) instead , as they have a better running scanning system -
You need to do this on every computer , not just the main one -

Thank You -

#5 Linclass

Linclass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:22 AM

Thanks for your prompt reply

I have the same AV and Malware software [which is AV updated daily] on all my computers, I have used MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware along with Eset online scanner to remove all the problems. The only programme I could run, to begin disinfecting my computer [I changed file names to prevent it from being run as happened on another occasion] was SBSD, this then allowed me to access other programmes and the internet to resolve the problems I had

The virus's are not my current problem now, it is how to allow internet access on limited accounts on the laptop. This will hopefully stop the children downloading virii and trojans in the future and causing me headaches in fixing them

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:34 AM

-
A good Running Antivirus is the best option along with the paid version of Malwarebytes (which will prevent access to Bad sites) -
Your AVG seems to Miss too much and seems to not be doing its job properly - -
This is again my personal opinion and not from Bleeping Computers as I am not sure on their company preferences -

Thank You - :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:43 AM

FWIW: IMO, there is no reason for anyone to purchase Malwarebytes...unless they want the additional features offered by that version. The free ware version works perfectly fine for most users.

I also believe that the differential features offered in the paid version...are all available by some other Windows function or free antivirus/antimalware program.

Louis

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:28 PM

I would remove AVG and get Avast or Avira. They are much better, and have you looked into MS Steady State? http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...ss/default.mspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users