Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LONG DELAY BETWEEN WELCOME SCREEN AND DESKTOP ICONS

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jackuars

jackuars

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:22 AM

haii all techies :thumbsup: i have a problem which has been pissing me for almost 3 weeks... :) As i start up my computer i become stuck with the desktop background after the welcome screen and the desktop icons and start button arrive too late almost taking more than 8 minutes... :inlove: i am sure windows has loaded and i could hear the start up sound but not the icons and taskbar which appears only after long time...

i have analyzed this problem for all these weeks ..i have come up with the conclusion that its a RPC(Remote Procedure Call) which is creating this problem..i diagnosed this when i could still start up task manager when i have desktop background and i end an svchost.exe process....Suddently a shutdown screen with a time down count of 1 minute appears saying that(RPC has been unexpectedly terminated..the system is going to shut down..save ur work..blah blah) :cool: ...But then all icons starts appearing and taskbar gets loaded...i rush into run command and type "shutdown -a" and the screen closes and i continue my work..

But this is irritating me..as i have to do it everytime i log into my computer ....and using Avira Internet Security its 'Mail guard and Web guard gets disabled due to ending this service....the scanner ..real time protection works still)

Btw my computer is clean of any infections and malwares....checked with Avira and MalwareBytes.. :trumpet:

Plz..Plz..Plz.....help to solve my problem and any help would be gratefully appreciated....Thanking u all guys in advance..!!!Hope to get a reply soon and solve my problem fast... :flowers:

Edited by jackuars, 21 April 2010 - 12:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:24 AM

Do you have a mapped network drive that is no longer available?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 jackuars

jackuars
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:59 AM

heyy am impressed with the fast reply..thanks a lot.... :thumbsup:

hey well sorry for ignorance..whats a mapped network drive and how to know its no longer available??

#4 jackuars

jackuars
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:05 AM

for ur furthur info ...i downloaded svchostanalyzer and ran it....it gave me results that an svchost.exe is not active.....the processes below it are...
Human Interface Device Access(HidServ):-Registry invalid entry..The system cannot find the specified file...

another svchost.exe process with process id 1756 has a report....."access is denied.Run program as administrator"...but i always log in as admin only(it belongs to group No microsoft file) but this contains no services

i dont know whether these refers to my problem or something..!!

Edited by jackuars, 21 April 2010 - 01:23 AM.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:24 AM

You could try this:

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 jackuars

jackuars
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:45 AM

i dont have winxp cd or neither do i have installation file in i386...so i dont know how i could do the sfc scan....

This rpcss svchost.exe process(network service) is really making my computer to start up slow....

any other suggestionS?

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:03 PM

Is your desktop full of icons?

#8 jackuars

jackuars
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

heyyy... :trumpet: i guess i solved this problem myself with lots of googling.. :) i came across this forum "http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-xp/13213-bits-rpc-service-startup.html" The title says BITS AND RPC start up in windows xp..this was actually my problem and i referred the microsoft resources page as given in the first post of his forum and saw that :- :cool:

RPC has to be set up as automatic with log on type as local system..mine was set to network service...i wonder what made this to be so :P ....Now am able to login without any delay :inlove:

Anyway thanks for ur help techies for trying to help me solve this problem... :thumbsup:
i guess this thread will help someone too who is facing the same problem and am glad to help them in any case...CHEERS!! :flowers:

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:27 PM

Id perform a malware scan with http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php and http://www.superantispyware.com just to make sure.

#10 jackuars

jackuars
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:16 PM

yeah glad i did that..checked with MBAM...log gives me clean report...and about windows update BITS has to be turned on to perform it...from services.msc right click BITS(background intelligence transfer service) and set to automatic....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users