Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost xp activation code-honest

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kimandbear

kimandbear

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 10:22 AM

i have the cd, i just dont have the case which is where the activation code was. i have kids and i have moved once...need i say more. i had a major problem with my computer so i had to reinstall the OS and now its giving me 18 days left to activate (was 30). How do I go about rectifying my OS problem?

My OS info

Windows xp home edition 2003
emachine 512 MB of RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 10:30 AM

There are ways to find the product key of the first installation, and there are ways to reinstall XP with actually re-activating (provided it was properly activated once before), but both of those techniques require forethought and planning, and it is too late now.

Just curious, how did you get this far without a product key? You must have entered a product key towards the end of the installation? Where did that key come from?

Albert Frankenstein
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 kimandbear

kimandbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:01 PM

actually what i did was just repair the actual installation...not the first repair option, the second repair option that you come to. Do you think that microsoft would give it to me?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:13 PM

Yes. Microsoft, by virtue of the fact that Emachines installed an OEM version of XP on your machine, Microsoft can verify that your machine has a valid XP installation.

Look at the following Microsoft webpage and follow the instructions given there:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/update/genuine.mspx

If you still find you need the key number, or if you just want to get it for possible future need, download MagicalJellybeanKeyfinder from here:
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

Edited by Enthusiast, 24 September 2005 - 12:20 PM.

#5 kimandbear

kimandbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 05:20 PM

I went to the microsoft site but in order to validate my OS I have to activate my OS first. The second option you gave to me helped, I think. When I did it, I got a key back from it, however, it also happened to be a key that I found on the net. I have been going on sites that have possible keys that I can use to activate my OS and I was trying some today. It was one of those that the keyfinder gave back to me. However, it wasn't the last key that I tried, but it was a key that didn't work when I tried to activate my OS. :thumbsup: :flowers:

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:38 PM

Hi kimandbear,

Have you looked around the surfaces of your computer case? Most of the computers sold today have the product key affixed to the case. Just a thought.

Also, the internet keys, IMHO are not the way to go. I echo Enthusiast comments about contacting Microsoft.

Good luck,
Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 07:45 PM

You do not need the Key Code to activate.
You do need it to do a repair install or a clean install.

How did you do a repair install without the code?
Look on the side of your computer for the:
Certificate of Authenticity
The Key Code (License) is on the sticker.
25 digit number & letter code.
xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 08:43 PM

I went to the microsoft site but in order to validate my OS I have to activate my OS first. The second option you gave to me helped, I think. When I did it, I got a key back from it, however, it also happened to be a key that I found on the net. I have been going on sites that have possible keys that I can use to activate my OS and I was trying some today. It was one of those that the keyfinder gave back to me. However, it wasn't the last key that I tried, but it was a key that didn't work when I tried to activate my OS. :thumbsup: :flowers:

The one MagicalJellyBean gives you is one it reads from your registry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users