Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox and Extensions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 10:09 AM

Ok..not sure if im in the right place here..but.......

:thumbsup: I upgraded my Mozilla Firefox to 1.0.7 cos it said there was a new version of..so..me thinking...'oooooh...okay then..new version of anything must be good'

:flowers: But..see..I seem to have lost the extensions i had with the old version I had..and and..Im uspset about that cos I liked em!!

Sooooooo...stupid question coming up here...........how can i get the old version back or is it too late? I have looked on Firefox homepage and it seems the extensions I had are not compatible to the newer version of Firefox..which is annoying really....can I go back to the old version now or have I shot it and will I have to wait for FF to upgrade the extensions..or the extension folk to upgrade to newer version of FF?

:trumpet: As you can probably tell..me very very new to computers so any help would be appreciated and also if I have posted this in the wrong place ..could someone point me in the right direction?

:inlove: Many thanks...!

(Moderator edit: moved post to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 24 September 2005 - 11:09 PM.

Posted Image
Of all the things Ive lost...I miss my mind the most!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:35 AM

Since the latest release includes both stability as well as important security patches, I would suggest you keep it and wait for the programmers of the extensions to revise them. I would check for extension updates in one or two days.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:41 PM

Hey...thankyou John..I shall do just that! x :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#4 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 01:07 PM

:thumbsup: Hi John..just wanted to add that i actually uninstalled the new version of FF and uninstalled the extensions I had..then reinstalled the lot...and guess what? The extensions work now!! :flowers:
Was chatting to Starbuck and he suggested it might work as he had the new FF version and his extensions still worked...anyhoo, Im glad it worked!

:trumpet:

DOLLYEYES
Posted Image

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:03 AM

Thanks for replying. Out of curiosity, did you uninstall the old version of FF before installing the new version the first time?
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:29 AM

Hi John.....actually come to think of it..I think i just clicked on the upgrade to the new version of FF...I assumed that it was like MSN Messenger and would just replace the older version automatically! That is probably why i had the probs then...should have uninstalled then installed the newer version......?

DIPPY DOLLYEYES
:thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 spywaredr

spywaredr

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 06:07 PM

Hi John.....actually come to think of it..I think i just clicked on the upgrade to the new version of FF...I assumed that it was like MSN Messenger and would just replace the older version automatically! That is probably why i had the probs then...should have uninstalled then installed the newer version......?

DIPPY DOLLYEYES
:thumbsup:

always download newer firefox versions,THEN delete old version,THEN install newer version,in that order.
amazing enough,i found the firefox unistall file here:
start,my computer,windows,uninstall firefox
won't find it anywhere else.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:31 PM

amazing enough,i found the firefox unistall file here:
start,my computer,windows,uninstall firefox
won't find it anywhere else.

You can also uninstall Firefox via Add/Remove.
After uninstalling, go to C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firfox, and delete that folder, then inastall the newer version.

It's a good idea to keep your installers, for the older versions of programs, for situations such as this.
If you install the newer version of a program, and it doesn't work, due to bugs, etc...., you always have the older version to fall back on.
That's why I think it's a good idea to download the newer version, instead of just clicking "update".
Every installer I've ever downloaded, of every program I use, I have saved in a folder of it's own with, a Notepad doc.
This is the way I do it:

In the My Documents folder, I have a folder named Installers.
In the Installers folder, I have I, II & III.
(I try to limit the size of these folders to around 600MB. That way I can burn the whole folder to a disk when doing backups.)
In each of those folders, I have folders for each program; Firefox, Ad-aware, Spybot, Irfanview, etc....
In each of these folders, I have a folder for each version; Firebird v0.7, Firefox v0.8, Firefox v0.9, Firefox v0.9.2, etc...
In each of these folders, I put the installers, and a Notepad document.
In the Notepad document, I put all the important info about the program, that I copy & paste from the website, such as program name, version #, URL of the site, how to install/uninstall, system requirements, features, problems I've had with the program, etc...
Then you can burn each Installers folder, when you burn your back-up disks.

That way, if you ever have a problem with a newer version of a program, or have to reinstall your OS, you have all of your programs on disk, and ready to install.
No need to waste time re-downloading all of your programs (especially if you're on dial-up).

I hope this isn't too confusing. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users