Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

programming related question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 davers

davers

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:26 PM

Hello. I have a general computer question that may or may not be difficult to answer. My basic goal is that I would like to be able to visualize in my

mind how the different components of a computer all interact with each other. I would like to be able to visualize the process from the input (as with a

mouse), through the processing (which would include cpu, ram, hard drive, among others), and finally the output (as to the screen or a printer). Would

someone be willing to explain this to me or direct me to a resource where I could see a diagram or explanation of this? The reason I would like to be

able to do this is because I feel it would allow me to use resources more efficiently when writing programs, be able to better diagnose any hardware or

software problems that might arise, and allow me to be able to better identify bottlenecks. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:08 AM

You are asking about the operating system architecture. OS interacts with the hardware through OS kernel which sends messages to all applications. An application can react to that message. Sounds easy but its not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_Windows_NT

#3 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:35 PM

As a computer science major, I've had to take several classes that deal with what you're talking about. One of the most interesting classes that I had to take was Operating Systems. In the Operating Systems class, we learned about interaction with the Kernel as well as how scheduling algorithms work.

What I'm trying to say is, if you'd like to learn more about how these things work, grab yourself an operating systems text book; or simply do some research on how the Linux kernel works.

Once you do a bit or research, it may be good to try some loadable kernel modules, and some system programming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users