Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer hangs at XP splash screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:23 PM

A few weeks ago I got home from work, turned the computer on, and it would not go past the black XP splash screen, the little blue bars just going from left to right endlessly.

I use last best known configuration, and it worked... once. The next time I booted it did the same, but last best know configuration would not work again. I googled it, and tried all the suggestions I found, moslty running recovery console, fixmbr, chkdsk, etc... but nothing worked until I tried system restore. Viola.. it worked!

But now it did it again this morning, I was able to use last known config one time, and then had to restore to 2 days ago, (yesterday, the 19th was not avail as an option for some reason) and is working again now.

Any tests I can do to find out what is causing this to happen?

I thought maybe it was usb related, since last night I transferred a file from one computer to this one via thumb drive, and read where someone else had a similar problem, but I do not have usb as a boot option in bios.

my system is:
HP Pavilion Media Center
Version 2002
Service pack 3
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual
2.41Ghz 3.43 GB Ram
Asustek motherboard
Nvidia GeForce 6150

If you need more info. let me know!

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:16 PM

A clean install...or a recovery/restore, since it's an HP system.

Some critical file may be damaged...but you have provided no clues (IMO) as to what that might be.

Have you checked the errors listed in Event Viewer...for clues as to what requires attention?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Finally...you might try the MS FixIt Center..

Louis

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:48 PM

Here is what I find in Event viewer from this mornings bootup.. it is the System section

The MCSTRM service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

and then about 25 secs later...

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Lbd

There were also this warning... but like 10 minutes after...

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts

Hope this helps!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:13 PM

MCSTRM...if valid, it's a Real file. Do you have any Real software installed?

Lbd.sys...if valid, it's a driver for Ad-Aware. Is Ad-Aware installed?

Those TCP/IP warnings are routine and worthless. The limit for connections is normally 10...users who have torrent programs installed normally receive these and work around them.

If you have either of the programs I mentioned installed...you may want to try uninstalling them (via Add/Remove Programs), running the chkdsk /r command...and then reinstalling these programs if you need/want them.

If you have an external drive attached to your system...make sure that it's either off or unplugged when booting. That includes flash drives. Windows sometimes doesn't like coming across USB devices attached and functioning...before the USB drivers are loaded.

Louis

#5 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

Well I thought I had uninstalled AdAware a while back, since it seems fairly useless, and hogs allot of resources.
but maybe there are still traces of it lingering... not sure how to hunt them down tho.

When I get back home, I'll un-install Real Player since I hardly ever use it, and see if that changes anything.

Thanks!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:34 AM

For Ad-Aware...you might try reinstalling and then properly uninstalling it, using Add/Remove Programs.

There are also utilities like Revo Uninstaller which you may be interested in...I've never used it, but others seem to think highly of it.

Louis

#7 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

For Ad-Aware...you might try reinstalling and then properly uninstalling it, using Add/Remove Programs.

There are also utilities like Revo Uninstaller which you may be interested in...I've never used it, but others seem to think highly of it.

Louis

I had always heard it is best to use the un-install feature through the Start/Programs that comes with the program, and only use Windows Add/Remove as a last resort.

I have used Revo, and like it (I have it on another computer, and thought I had it installed on the HP also, but when I looked for it, didn't find it.), not only does it run the un-install, it then searches for any left over remnants (like in the registry, etc.) and gives you the option to remove them.

So yep, I guess I'll re-install Ad-aware and the use Revo to clean it all up...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users