Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Book G4 will not boot, need to recover files

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tjo49770

tjo49770

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

Recently I downloaded, IMTOO, software to transfer iPod files to and from the Laptop. I don't know if this caused my problems, but since then the laptop will no longer boot up, it beeps and then goes to the apple logo with the spinning icon and then it stays stuck there. I need to get files off of the hard drive. I would like a free way to get at the files and copy then to a USB stick or external hard drive. What can I do to get this to boot and then save files? Can anyone help me?

Edited by tjo49770, 20 April 2010 - 06:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:13 PM

this could be caused by a multitude of issues such as ram cards are bad to the program itself that you installed, do you know if the laptop has more than one ram card? also how many macs do you have?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:20 AM

Here are some troubleshooting steps you should try.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2570

#4 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:50 PM

This is presuming you even have a fire wire connection on your mac!
It should if it was introduced after July 2000

If you have access to another mac:

1. Get a fire wire cable
2. start up OTHER mac
3. connect both macs together w/ fire wire
4. turn on your G4, holding down 'T' - what this does is start the mac in 'target mode'. You can then access the hard drive of your G4, and take off the files.

The beauty of this is that your mac does not need to be running to use target mode!

If this does not work however, you may be able to remove the hard drive from the computer and find one of the connectors to the type of hard drive that it is (I believe its ATA?)

I hope this works for you,
Good luck man,
GB

Update:
I wonder if they do Apple internet cafes?
that way, you could conect via fire wire like this!
Who knows?!?

Edited by brooksey!!!, 21 April 2010 - 03:51 PM.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

that's what i was getting to but, will that work when the system will not boot i cant remember. Being a G4 i think so but like i said i don't remember.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 tjo49770

tjo49770
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:31 AM

I'll try the target boot and get back to you.

#7 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:33 AM

that's what i was getting to but, will that work when the system will not boot i cant remember. Being a G4 i think so but like i said i don't remember.

I belive the system does not need to boot. I have only had experience with mac book pro's though, so i'm not sure.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:11 AM

you may be right i think it works from rom i cant remember either.
sigcomp.png 

#9 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:26 PM

So: did it work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users