Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AOL Update pop-ups and spam emails sent from AOL account

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TripleP

TripleP

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

Windows Vista
AOL 9.0 VR
McAfee SecurityCentre

Daily, a pop-up purporting to be from AOL appears, with "Install Now" / "Remind me later" buttons:
"The following update is ready to install.
Security Update - Critical: AOL has identified a security vulnerability that can be used to execute malicious code on your computer. To correct, please install this update. Click here for details.
Update 4482.14.4"

Took no action, until a set of spam emails were sent from one of the two AOL email accounts used on this PC.

Spyware Doctor found two suspicious AOL files, so I uninstalled & re-installed AOL.

Now receive a second pop-up also:
"A new version of the AOL Connectivity Services software is available. Click Update Now to install the latest update" with only an "Update Now" button.

McAfee found nothing. Malwarebytes found Windows\SED.exe, other tools (SuperSpyWare, SpyBot, Ad-Aware) found tracking cookies.

Am I right in thinking the pop-ups are malware? And the spam emails that were sent on one occasion? Is this a known issue & how do I fix it please as none of the tools I have used so far appear to have detected anything significant? (Although I have no idea what is significant - please forgive my ignorance.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TripleP

TripleP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:18 AM

UPDATE

AOL advised the installation of all updates suggested by pop-ups, which I have done.

A second batch of spam emails was then sent from the same AOL account (one of two on this PC).

McAfee & Malwarebytes showed no problems & SuperAntiSpyware found tracking cookies.

How can I prevent spam emails being sent from an AOL account please?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users