Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The systen cannot log you on now because

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 melindascrochetbits

melindascrochetbits

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:56 PM

I am working on a friends computer that was full of nasties. Before I got rid of all the nasty viruses,pups and trojans, I had no problem connecting to the internet via my netgear 802.11 wireless adapter.

Now that it is clean I keep losing my internet connection. What could be the problem?
Also her Mitsumi cd rom and Sony cd-rw is no longer listed under my computer. In device manager, they both give me an error message, one is red and the second one is yellow.

I will post the exact error message when defrag is complete.

Mitsumi cd rom FX4821T!A-
code 22 then when I click enable a box comes up that says windows was not able to enable this device.

Sony cd rw crx216e
code 39

She is running xp pro
AMD-K6tm w/multimedia extensions
266 Mhz,160MB of RAM

I already told her she needs more ram and a bigger hard drive but I am beginning to wonder if I made her problem worse than what it was.Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: Merged topics, issues on same system, title reflects latest issue ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2010 - 06:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:12 PM

What programs did you use to scan and remove all that malware?

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:05 AM

my guess after you answer cryptodan's question would be to uninstall both drivers for the drive and restart window and see what happens.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:14 AM

I can Help you fix the Code 39.

Before you do the following steps, please use Erunt Registry Backup
to backup your registry as making the wrong changes to your registry can lead to system failure. Saving to a floppy or CD or USB device ensures you will have a copy just in case things go wrong.

1) Close all open programs

2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter

3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
-SYSTEM
--CurrentControlSet
---Control
----Class
-----{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

UpperFilters
LowerFilters
UpperFilters.bak
LowerFilters.bak
5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete

6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor

7) Reboot your computer

8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

Edited by s1lents0ul, 19 April 2010 - 12:49 PM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:12 PM

When you are advising someone to edit the registry please warn them and tell them to perform a backup with the following: Erunt Registry Backup.

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:44 PM

Ok, No Problem, didnt know :thumbsup:
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#7 melindascrochetbits

melindascrochetbits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:25 PM

I used spybot search and destroy, toni arts easy cleaner ( didn't use then duplicate files button, Avg anti virus and CCleaner.

I already tried uninstalling the cd rom drives and rebooting and I still got the error codes.

I checked out the registry and I deleted both upper and lower filters. Those were the only two I had that were on the list. The system is rebooting at the present time.

Once I get it back online I would like to post a hijack log here so that a professional can look over my log to see what else needs to be done. Thanks for all the help. It is nice to know,I have somewhere to go for all my computer problems.

It is a learning process for me so thanks for teaching me!

In my computer the cd rw drive is present.
In device manager the Mitsumi cd rom FX4821T!A still has a red x wit error code 22.
So I click enable device and then it tells me windows was not able to enable this device.

Edited by melindascrochetbits, 19 April 2010 - 01:32 PM.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

Just some info on BC and its opinion on the use of registry cleaners....

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Also i hope you resolve your computer problems!

Edited by computerxpds, 19 April 2010 - 01:32 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#9 melindascrochetbits

melindascrochetbits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:34 PM

just wanted to add also in device manager netgear also is showing an error code 10 This device cannot start.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:34 PM

Is this a desktop or a lap top?

#11 melindascrochetbits

melindascrochetbits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:39 PM

desktop. so are you saying I should undo everything I did using easy cleaner?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

I would try different cables.

#13 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:49 PM

@melindascrochetbits:
Did the steps I gave u fix your problem for the Code 39?

Here is a link to all the codes that will come up for future reference. Windows Code Errors From Microsoft

@computerxpds:
No one here has mentioned any registry cleaners/optimizers. Thanks though for the input. :thumbsup:

Edited by s1lents0ul, 19 April 2010 - 01:55 PM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#14 melindascrochetbits

melindascrochetbits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

yes, it fixed the code 39 error but I still have the other error.

try different cables ? please explain.

I thing the registry cleaner was for me because I used Toni Arts Easy cleaner on the problem system

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:57 PM

Cables can sometimes be damaged, even though the drive is detected the cables can be damaged to the point windows cannot activate them. GO to your local computer shop like Best Buy and pick up a new set of cabled and try this.

This has happened to me before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users