Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card & Hard Drive Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BambooP

BambooP

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:49 PM

Hi- I have a

Compaq Presario SR1110NX
325 Intel Celeron D Processor
256MB DDR SDRAM (in 1 slot, second slot is empty)
40 GB Ultra DMA hard drive
Runs Windows XP
Intel Extreme Graphics video card
Power supply says: 1AC INPUT 100-127V~ 6.0A; 200-240V~ 3.0A
Motherboard: Micro-star Intl Gamila/Giovani/Neon series 030, bus clock 133 megahertz, BIOS- Phoenix Technologies 3.10

I've been having a lot of trouble with website graphics and streaming video (computer gets bogged down, stalls and starts, video freezes while audio continues) and thought I just needed a new computer. A friend suggested I upgrade my RAM and that would fix most of my problems. He says I can upgrade to 2 GB (1 stick of 1GB RAM per slot).

My question is- should I also upgrade my hard drive and video cards? My hard drive only has 4.1 GB of free space. And will upgrading the graphics card help my video quality any more than upgrading the RAM will?

Primarily I use my desktop for surfing the internet, downloading music, streaming videos/movies (hulu, etc), uploading photos, editing my flash website (wix.com-point & click commands only), and occasionally simple point and click video games.

If I should upgrade video cards- what are some good suggestions? Will I need to worry about my power supply?

Thank-you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

woah only 4.1 gig of free space? Id dare say thats probably 75% of your problem right there-a hard drive that full can bog down a computer. Defragmenting, and deleting unneeded files would be a good idea, or perhaps either replacing it with a larger drive or perhaps just adding another and moving files over it it. . . memory upgrade couldnt hurt either. my advice is find some way to free up hard drive space and more ram.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:53 PM

1. For an overall performance boost, I'd suggest a MEMORY (Ram) + STORAGE (HD) upgrade!

RAM: If your motherboard supports a max. of 2GB, a 1GB stick for each slot should do it.
Be sure to check the specifications of the memory modules(RAM) you need.

HD: A High-Capacity/7200RPM/16MB Cache/IDE Hard Disk will suffice. (no SATA ports)

2. For a decent video card, a decent power power supply is a must.
Although, an average video card (low power consumption) can be considered to improve the playback of videos, if you feel the Intel graphics chipset doesn't cope well.

However, given the specifications of your PC, a video card upgrade would seem unwise.
I WOULD rather spend it on the HD & RAM.

My 2 Cents. :thumbsup:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 20 April 2010 - 06:58 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 BambooP

BambooP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:27 AM

Thanks for the great info! ReviverSoft, I've looked at hard drives that seem to be compatible with my system and all of them only have a cache of 8mb. Will that still work?

http://www.archmemory.com/memory.cfm/Compa...-SR1110NX-21408

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:22 PM

Well, the cache poses no question of compatibility.
More cache = faster read/write times = better performance !

A 16MB cache model: WD 500GB | 16M cache | 7200 RPM

Other options:

250 -320 GB | 8MB cache | 7200 RPM

With the advent of SATA (v1,2&3) HDs, IDE ones are slowly dying out.

Good luck with the upgrades! :thumbsup:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 21 April 2010 - 06:23 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users