Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Wtih Windows Xp Boot Screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CodyKoloski

CodyKoloski

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

Hey, I am new here Not even sure if this is the correct section to post in, but I recently Partitioned my Hard drive to Dual Boot Windows 7 with Windows XP Professional and Had Problems With the Windows 7 Installation So I Decided to Just Reformat The Partitioned side and merge back My Windows XP Professional Side, Upon doing so everything worked alright except for My Operating Systems Choice Screen. What I am looking to do is eliminate having to click Older Versions of Windows choice and just allow it to boot straight into Windows XP Since I got rid of Windows 7, I think it has something to do with My BootMgr, and boot folders but I Didn't want to go messing around with those and decided I would try to get a good explanation on here how to go about removing the Operating systems choice menu-Making Windows XP Pro First Priority, Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:34 PM

You probably need to edit your boot.ini file:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:50 PM

When you attempted to install Win 7, the Windows XP boot loader ceases to be important. The Win 7 bootloader is now the key, reflecting both operating systems.

Deleting the Windows 7 partition...does not resolve the situation that the Win 7 bootloader now has control of the system boot files. Consequently, you are still presented with two boot options, even though you have eliminated your Win 7 install.

Removing Win 7 From Dual-boot

Removing Your Win 7 Partition

Me...I think that I just used EasyBCD to remove the bootloader files when I broke up one of my XP/Win 7 dual-boots earlier but I won't suggest that, bowing to the solutions that others have tried and are certain will do the job. I believe that I just took the easy way out and removed the boot option for the departed Win 7 install, because I don't care about the Win 7 bootloader files still being on the XP install...I eliminated the boot option that was nonexistent.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2010 - 05:51 PM.

#4 CodyKoloski

CodyKoloski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:02 PM

Thankyou for the useful information.

#5 CodyKoloski

CodyKoloski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:22 PM

When you attempted to install Win 7, the Windows XP boot loader ceases to be important. The Win 7 bootloader is now the key, reflecting both operating systems.

Deleting the Windows 7 partition...does not resolve the situation that the Win 7 bootloader now has control of the system boot files. Consequently, you are still presented with two boot options, even though you have eliminated your Win 7 install.

Removing Win 7 From Dual-boot

Removing Your Win 7 Partition

Me...I think that I just used EasyBCD to remove the bootloader files when I broke up one of my XP/Win 7 dual-boots earlier but I won't suggest that, bowing to the solutions that others have tried and are certain will do the job. I believe that I just took the easy way out and removed the boot option for the departed Win 7 install, because I don't care about the Win 7 bootloader files still being on the XP install...I eliminated the boot option that was nonexistent.

Louis

The first link isn't linked to anything unless i did something wrong?

Edited by hamluis, 21 April 2010 - 09:25 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:26 AM

<<The first link isn't linked to anything unless i did something wrong?>>

Thanks, link was broken, I have now edited/fixed :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users